cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using ECL Viewer or not

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:

I would like to know if it is possible that the user chooses how to open an original file, that is, that the user can decide if there must be used the ECL Viewer or not.

Besides, I´d like to know too, if the system can be customized in order to make itself that decision: using an application to open an original file or using the viewer if the application is not found. For example, if a document has an AutoCAD file, that user A could open it with AutoCAD, as he has installed this application, but user B can opne it with the viewer as he has no accesss to AutoCAD.

Thank you.

Regards,

Maria

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

ECl viewer is specified for some files (3d and 2d f) only . like for 2d : dwg, dwr and for 3d: stl and jt files.

actually function of ECL files it reduces the size of the original file upto 1/10 of the original size.

if more information u need plz let me know

thanks

amit dhar

note give points for useful answer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

you can use the front end type to do this.

If you have the appropriate customize settings, you can change the frontend type in the DIR (Extras --> Change Frontend Type).

You cannot assign the correct front end type automatically, but as far as I know you can assign the front end type depending in the hostname of the frontend computer,

regards Iring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

Answer to your question is user has little or no choice regarding how to open a file, that being said Original application files can be opened only by the Original WSA application you define in DC30, in your example Autocad original file can be opened only using AutoCAD work station application.

The ECL / EAI /SAP Viewer is capable of opening "only" neutral file formats. It supports only certain file formats and in your example original AutoCAD file is not a supported format but the ECL viewer can be used to open Neutral files ( generally called as additional files) that are in turn generated by AutoCAD or 3rd party conversion engine from original part / assembly files. Few of ECL viewer supported formats are JT, STL, STEP, PDF, JPEG, GIF etc etc.

For the ECL viewer to work properly you have to make configuration settings as Iring Maeurer has already mentioned in the above reply.

Award points if you find this information useful

good luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nagasree,

I am sorry that's not correct, the ECL-Viewer is capable to open AutoCAD (dwg) format.

Please see SAP-note 381860 for the list of supported formats.

regard Iring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Iring,

General industry practice is to use PDF as the neutral format for Drawings. Good to know that ECL viewer supports DWG's and thanks I stand corrected.

Good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Personally I find the best option is to go with a generic freeware viewer appropriate to that particular format. Alternatively, we have opted to go with the ECL viewer and then add a button with the option "View with Autocad" as an enhancement which uses %auto% to open in whatever viewer the person has setup default for that application.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

I personally prefer using the ECL viewer for the following reasons,

1. It is integrated and supported by SAP.

2. It facilitates other functionalities like Layers, Comments, Dimensioning, categorizing the comments, compare mode etc.

3. The best part is individual freeware need not be installed on all the user systems. We cannot excpect purchasing department, Change control department to install CAD freeware like say DWF viewer, this is just a simple example.

4. ECL viewer being integrated with SAP, can be very useful for implementing review process, Change process etc.

Where as other freeware ( though I agree are better in some cases) are not well integrated with SAP.But thats just my opinion.

Award points if informative.

good luck!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Athol, would you mind telling which badi or customer enhancement did you use to add the button and to add the necessary programming code to open a different application instead of the default one???

I'm looking for and

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol:

It would be great if you could tell us how to add this button!!

Thank you.

Regards,

Maria Luisa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I'll check with my abap guy which user exit can be used for this but this is a sample of what you can do.

Any of the buttons could be linked to something like "Display with AutoCad"

[http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/2296098596_c8f49ace73_o.jpg]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Athol,

Thats some good work I'm interested in knowing more about it.

Thank you.

Edited by: Nagasree Kamisetty on Mar 18, 2008 4:37 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can open the same DWG file in ECL viewer in display mode and in Autocad in edit mode(if the application is available in the front end).

For this pls define WS in DC30.

For this WS in Define workstation application in network define two entries as below

!) application type = 1, path with prog. name = EAIWeb.webviewer2D.1 %SAP-CONTROL%

2) application type = 2, path with prog. name = %auto%

After doing this when you open the DWG file in display mode (double click) it will open in ECL viewer and if you open it in edit/change mode i t will open in autocad(if available frontend)

Regards,

T T Subudhi