cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI7.0 to PI7.1 upgrade possibilities

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Experts,

What are the possibilities of upgrading PI7.0 to PI7.1 in a productive environment?

Regards,

Shobhit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Swarup ...;-),

Upgrade paths will be provided from PI 7.0 to PI 7.1. i. e. in principle all the objects from the Integration Repository will be transferred to the Enterprise Service Repository and can be re-used there.

The same is almost true for the Integration Directory, however there is a restriction due to the move to the new JEE server.

This move made several changes necessary in the adapter framework, however these changes are pure syntactical.

There are a lot of advantages in the new adapter framework, e. g. much fewer interfaces for vendors who want to develop 3rd party adapters; but the disadvantage is that the existing 3rd party adapters as well as customer specific modules have to be adjusted to the new adapter framework. Of course, SAPs own adapters will be adjusted by SAP. And there will be the possibility to run an older adapter engine (SAP XI 3.0 / PI 7.0) in a PI 7.1 environment in order to give vendors and customers time to adjust their adapters and adapter modules.

For the SAP own adapters of course we will make the necessary adjustments. I hope this info helps a little bit.

Please refer below links

Upgrade to SAP NetWeaver PI 7.1

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/8085e299-718c-2a10-de94-928f62b7...

how to upgrade to PI 7.1

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/10d15995-0501-0010-7987-bd1f7c9d...

Thanks

Swarup

Edited by: Swarup Sawant on Feb 14, 2008 7:18 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks from Swarup to Swarup!!

Good answer. But my concerns are more from a business perspective. I believe that PI7.1 is still in ramp up and it will take more time in implementing PI7.1 than PI7.0 because of the enchancements in the product. But at the same time, it makes more sense to setup PI7.1 as it will become the future platform for the customer for ESA architecture.

We have just installed PI7.0 and I am contemplating at the possibility of upgrading it to PI7.1 before the development starts. I just fear about bugs in PI7.1 hampering the implementation timelines. (I am already crushed by timelines!!!)

Any views on the same.

Regards,

Shobhit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swarup,

Since today whatever information avaialble as well as the PI 7.1 Ramp up have given the good results and better acustomability with PI 7.0 as well as XI3.0 also interms of upgrade.

I don't think you will face much bugs as such that could hamper your timeline.

But still if you are not pretty sure, probably its better to go ahead only with PI 7.0 with latest service pack (10 or 12) and later on after having some good results about PI 7.1 you could be able to shift to PI 7.1.

I completly agree with you as the PI 7.1 will be the Key Entity in the future platform for the customer for ESA architecture, but that should not be with baring the loty of risk.

The result of ramp-up for PI 7.1 are absolutly fine rather I will say those are more than expectaions. But its better to wait and watch the real time integrations and then have next step.

Thanks

Swarup

Edited by: Swarup Sawant on Feb 14, 2008 8:15 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Swarup!!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shobit,

Go thru this -https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/8085e299-718c-2a10-de94-928f62b763ce

raj.