cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MI7.1 apps for PDA and laptop

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Till 7.0 for mobile apps there was no difference in dev procedure for laptops and PDAs (as far as my study goes..). Now in 7.1 i can see altogether different dev approachs for PDA and laptop. Now my question is 'Should we have to develop two different applications if i have to develop same application for both PDA and laptop?'. If no then how i can reduce dev time?

Regards,

Vinay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

well, it is not that different.

Even with MAM3.0 in MI7.0 there had been two different versions - yes it made sence even in the past to develop two different versions of the App. This is because of differences in screen layout and device capabilities.

As long as you follow the MVC approach you work should be fairly save and you just need one development more or less. Business logic, persistence layer and so on is pretty much the same. Ok, on PDA we will use MinDB or DB2e, while on Laptop MaxDB is supported as well. As long as you concentrate on the MI persistence layer you should not worrie about that. But you need separate View development - and this makes sence at the end due to different screen resolutions and so on.

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

Even i have a similar doubt.

In MI2.5 or MI7.0 we used to develop the application and deploy the .War file into NWA.

And used to assign that application whether we work on PDA or Laptop.

.War file is same for both Laptop and PDA.

Coming to Mobile 7.1..Development approach is different for both Laptop and PDA?

Kindly help us here.

I want to develop a single application once and implement that application in both Laptop and PDA.

Cheers,

Karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthick,

I understand where you are coming from - but even in MI7.0 I develop always two different versions. The only difference is the UI in 99% of the cases, but I have two different versions at the end and so I have two different WAR files. In 7.1 I use the same approach and so I can not really help you to be honest. I always have two different versions at the end - but as I said, the only difference is the UI at the end. The business logic is based in my case in a separate project and joined from both projects - so I safe double development.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Oliver

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

From what I know starting from MI7.1 SP3 there are two new frameworks avaibale for developing mobile applications:

1. WebDynpro offline for laptops

2. eSWT based for PDAs.

There is no apps build yet on any of them and it is not clear if any will be. One of the rasons is that for app as MAM two sepaarte developments might be required. Right now, even though MAM gives two interfaces for laptop/PDA there sia a fairly big common part which might not be the case for the new sepaarte frameworks.

I am sure that inofrmation does not help to answer your question but that is the current status.

Regards,

Larissa Limarova