cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of Taxonomy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Folks,

Can anyone suggest the best way to transport/migrate the taxonomy from one repository another without loosing any linkages/attributes/leaf-nodes etc...

-Vinay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

What is the best practice to start off the taxonomy creation for the very first time. ?

The best practice is like:

we have two options:

1. As you did ( Manual creation in the DM )

2. Through the import manager, you have to improt the taxonomy data to the taxonomy tables.

if your data is in tabdelimited format, then you can set the Delimiter to split the fields.

Then you can split the data into Hierarchy, then you can do the field mapping, then in value mapping you can use ADD Branch as child/

Add branch as sibling.

then complete the import process, you can able to view your taxonomy structure in DM.

hope this may help you,

Regards,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks .. let me try all these and see how it goes..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay

Since MDM hasn't come up with optimized transport methods for all the tables and fields across the system; we really dont have anything as such.

but the alternates are :

• Migrating repositories from dev box; I would say source repsoitories into Destination.

(OR)

• Re-loading taxonomy datas Attributes;Values;Linkages. I am not sure the DataManager export / Import process will support linakges area.

please feel free to revert to me for further calrifications.

thanks

Alexander

p.s: Kindly reward the points if found problem solved.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies.

I am looking back and seeing if we did something wrong. But I guess this is how anybody would create a taxonomy for the first time. We sat down with the business team and created the taxonomy manually via taxonomy node. Now we are in a situation where we need to transport this to another repository and got stuck. For now we did duplicate the repository.

What is the best practice to start off the taxonomy creation for the very first time. ?

-Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

The very first transport is done by copying the development repository.

1. In MDM console, duplicate the repositoty, Select the target server and name of the repository.

optionally you could also duplicate repository by archiving/unarchiving it.

2. you can also do:

in first repositoty, in the data manager, Export the detils of Taxonomy into Access DB.

and in the second repository import the Access file.

hope this may help you,

Regards,

Srinivas