cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to use for online backups.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I currently run weekly backups with option 21 (Save all).

Which brings all the subsystems and Sap down.

What's the best way to run online weekly backups without bringing SAP down and ending al the subsystems.

THanks

Joe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

jo_degraeve
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I use save-while-active in my own CLs according to note 825473 already for 1 year now.

I use the *NOCMTBDY parameter so the save doesn't get any delay waiting for uncommitted transactions.

I regularly test the recovery with the APYJRNCHG to resolve the uncommitted transactions after restore.

This all works perfect

Jo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

I allways do a save-while active in my own CL save programs, and only very rare it does not find a sync point.

Here is my save code:

SAVLIB LIB(R3PRDDATA) +

DEV(TAP01) +

VOL(*MOUNTED) +

SEQNBR(*END) +

ENDOPT(*LEAVE) +

CLEAR(*ALL) +

SAVACT(*SYNCLIB) +

SAVACTWAIT(900) +

ACCPTH(*YES) +

DTACPR(*YES) +

OUTPUT(*PRINT)

Guarantee to work without expensive BRMS

Good luck

Paul Hoogendoorn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Hope this assists -

We do a daily (incremental) of the libraries and IFS as per SN825473 (as per Victors comment) and then a full system weekly and obviously a monthly and I have successfully DRP'd from these backups so I know they work.

However we are about to go the BRMS route (have the IBM expert here on Monday and Tuesday next week) and then we will be doing save while active. I can give you more information then if you are thinking of following that route. This will also negate the requirement to start and stop SAP every evening which is something SAP does not want you to do.

Anette

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anette

Please let me know about your BRMS implemetation.

Thanks

Joe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Joe,

You might want to check Note 825473 - "iSeries: Online backup from V5R3M0 onward".

It covers SAP-related objects.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Joseph,

If you install BRMS in OS400. you need not down the SAP instence. but it is IBM license product.

You mention in Weekly backup is Entire system backup. you can take monthly onces in entire system backup.

Thanks

Jibin.