Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SoD Matrix

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been reading a about SOD but I've never seen an explanation on how to actually do the SoD Matrix. I'm currently on a project with a company who has not performed SOD. And I would like to help them do this.

I've seen the matrix at http://www.sapsecurityonline.com/sox_sod/sod_matrix.htm. What I don't understand is how to you know what is on the horizontal vs the vertical column.

For example, in the matrix, it has the AP Voucher Entry on both the horizontal and vertical columns. And that for this entry, there are so-and-so transactions related to it. I currently have a list of transactions, does that mean that I have to group them under similar tasks or functions?

Also, why is it that the entries are the same on both horizontal and vertical columns (i.e AP Voucher Entry, AP Payments, AP Release Blocked Inv, etc)?

What is the best approach to perform SoD?

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Litz,

First of all, that particular matrix is actually the ASAP methodology matrix, but not credited as such on there. It is OK, but very, very basic and you should look to extend it to meet your companies requirements.

You are along the right lines, the matrix has sets of conflicting functions (e.g. AP Voucher Entry) and there is a flag where 2 functions should not be combined or a mitigating control identified. They are on both axes because you can easily see which ones must not be combined rather than a long list.

As implementations can use different tx for different functions, you need to ID all tx that your implementation are using for each function. This will give you a list of which transactions should not be combined as they give belong in incompatible functions.

The next step is the painful manual reconciliation of those tx to identify roles and role combinations which give a segregation of duties conflict according to your matrix. This can take a few days to do each time.

You can automate it with SAP delivered reports such as RSUSR008_009_NEW (use the search for more info) but you will need to configure them.

SoD & approaches have been covered before so use the search & you will get loads of good info.

Some important things to remember are:

Rules need to be drafted by people with good knowledge of your company and their processes. Do not solely rely on a matrix you got off the internet

Automate if possible

SoD is one form of control. Config and reporting are two others which are commonly used

There are plenty of external tools which will do it at a cost. Companies like SAP (GRC Access Control Suite - Compliance Calibrator), Approva, CSI all have products which offer SoD's, as does the report which I mentioned earlier.

0 Kudos

Main issue here is that setting up the SoD matrix is NOT the reponsibility of the Security administrator. This should be in the hands of the controller or someone who is assigned the task by the controller. And business consultants must be involved as they know what is causing conflicts beter than anyone else.

0 Kudos

>

> Main issue here is that setting up the SoD matrix is NOT the reponsibility of the Security administrator. This should be in the hands of the controller or someone who is assigned the task by the controller. And business consultants must be involved as they know what is causing conflicts beter than anyone else.

Yes and No.

An experienced security administrator should have enough understanding (though we all have to start with zero) of business processes and risk management to co-ordinate the collation of the data from the business, internal audit, risk management etc.

As the security admin is typically the person who will be using it, there is a vested interest for them to be involved in the process - something which the original poster appears keen to do. If the rules are incomplete or there are SoD violations etc, the finger will first be pointed at the security admin so might as well do something positive about it

Cheers

Alex

0 Kudos

Auke,

Just because Its not the 'Responsiblity' of sec admin how can;

1. The SEC admin turn not know or show inteset to get to the bottom of it? or on top of it !!

But the poster's concerns are valid..I recall I myself posted this but did not get an satisfactory answer !

Th eneed is very simple ...We need to create a SoD Matrix..help us to understand various ways to do it ..may be this forum need to get really VOCAL..I mean VOCAL disucssion with JAAWs ( Juluis Alex Auke Wolf..) Lecturing to us !! JAAWs can you please move this idea to SDN board , Please ?

0 Kudos

In one of the discussions about SOD in earlier times, there was real good post by Justin Dundas-Smith about an approach he uses. See

What I liked about it is what Alex has also indicated: get out there and find out which requirements really exist for the business and finance processes, where they want a system control to segregate certain tasks as being incompatable with others. The ones which they themselves would like to have analytical information on, and build SOD rules for those from scratch.

I would think that once you have your "foot in the door" and support from the business and finance folks, then expanding the rule sets to include risk management, audit, any possible legal requirements which force a specific SoD (there are a few) should not be hard to add on to the analysis.

SoD within IT might however be a different nut to crack

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

>

> In one of the discussions about SOD in earlier times, there was real good post by Justin Dundas-Smith about an approach he uses. See

I had a few beers in Vegas with Justin a while back (GRC2007) and he certainly knows his stuff!

0 Kudos

Hi Alex

I searched ASAP Methodology but couldn't find any populated SoD Matrix. Also the sapsecurityonline URL is now dead. Can you please tell from where can I get the Standard SoD Matrix?

Thanks

Yogesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am looking for the SOD for MD61 and MD62 (create and change Planned Independent Req)

I already have downloaded the SOD Matrix but I cannot specifically see the item for it.

Please help.

Thanks,

Jonn

0 Kudos

Hi John,

From you above post understood you are looking for auth values for MD61 & 62. You can find this from SU24. Object C_PPBD, Field AKTTYP Value H & V. H- Create, V Change.

If this does not answer your question, please provide more info.

Arul

0 Kudos

Hi Arul,

What i mean is: what other functions are in conflct with md61 and md62

example: md61 and process outbound delivery

Please help,

Thanks

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.