Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TSTCP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi..

what are the parameter transactions ?

what is the significance of the table TSTCP ?

and what is the difference between the transaction code and program ?

Thanks Nag

2 REPLIES 2

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> what are the parameter transactions ?

> what is the significance of the table TSTCP ?

> and what is the difference between the transaction code and program ?

Hi Nag,

I think we should reshuffle the order of your questions first:

> and what is the difference between the transaction code and program ?

A transaction is used to start a program. Endusers use transactions and should not (have to) start programs directly.

> what are the parameter transactions ?

I am guessing here, as I've never really cheked them out but: Some programs accept parameters when they're started and these parameters affect their behaviour. Basically like dos and unix/linux commands accept parameters.

> what is the significance of the table TSTCP ?

This holds the default parameters per transaction. To see which program gets these parameters at transaction start look in table TSTC

Hope this helps

Jurjen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nag,

Though Jurjen has described it all very elegantly..i will just add some things.. using an example..

Transaction SM30 is associated with programs SAPMSVMA, SAPLZTEMP etc. These are the back end programs which will be called once the user hits SM30. End users are not required to deal with programs, usually. They should play with transactions.

Parameter transactions allow you to preassign values to fields on the initial screen of a transaction (SAP help) which is similar to passing values instead of the user giving it...

Like transaction SM30_V_DDAT is a parameter transaction to which value VIEWNAME = V_DDAT is passed. This program uses transaction SM30 and passes the value V_DDAT to the screen field VIEWNAME. This will not allow the user to type a specific table name on the initial screen; instead he will be directly taken to the maintenance screen for table V_DDAT.

The table TSTCP stores this intial parameter for transactions. If you check for SM30_V_DDAT transaction in the table, you will see the values VIEWNAME=V_DDAT;SHOW=X in the PARAM field.

Parameter transactions can be created to achieve such restrictions.

How to do it?

SAP Help:

To create a parameter transaction, use the Transaction Maintenance transaction (SE93). Once you have entered a transaction code and short description, choose transaction type Transaction with parameters (Parameter transaction).

You can hide the initial screen of a parameter transaction if you have specified values for all of its fields.

Regards,

Sachin