cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whole database online + redo log backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

we are running SAP on a Oracle Database and doing a daily backup.

In the DBA Planing Calendar, we do have the action

Whole database online + redo log backup

What exactly does that mean?

Thanks,

Anne

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This means, that the database will be backed up. Any data that is changed during the backup run is logged in the redo logs - and they are backed up too. You will result in a database backup + the redo logs you need to get the database up consistently in case of a recover.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

thanks for your quick response!

Do I understand right, the entire database (not only the daily changed DB data) will be backuped meaning in case of a crash I would only need the latest tape to recover everything? Or do I need any additional backups at the operating system level?

Thanks

Anne

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This backup will save the CONTENT of the database only, not the database software itself.

To get a full consistent backup you need to backup more things if you want to have everything - depending on the operating system:

On Unix you will need to backup the software directory (/oracle*, oraInventory, oratab (depending on the location)) etc.

On Windows you will need to backup <letter>:\oracle, the registry keys and more things.

However, in case of a recovery you can also install the software after an OS installation and then restore it from tape.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again!

Ok, for my understanding, the entire database DATA will be backuped with this command (whole database back + redo log backup) and not only the daily changed data?

Thanks a lot!

Anne

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - sure - the whole database - not the delta.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot!!

(Gruesse nach Deutschland )

Anne

Answers (0)