cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup - SQL Server - db13 - NetBackup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is any way to configure the backups by schedull them in DB13 with SQL Server 2005, Veritas NetBackup and the backup devices centraliced in another server (a backup server)?

I wouldn't like to backup to disk to later backups to tape in the backup server. But until now this is the only solution I have found.

Thanks in advance

Lenin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can do that if your software supports that.

We use a centralized backup system for all our system - on a separate network segment. It's a matter of the software if it supports "remote" backups.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus,

That is what I'm trying to find out. If the solution can be configured

I the pass I have done that with Oracle - brtools - Legato

Right now I have another scenario (MSSQL - NetBackup )

Lenin

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you have an SQL server agent installed on the machine to be backed up?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I do

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok - then it should be a matter of configuration of the agent and/or the backup server to transfer your data directly to the tape instead of the backup directory on the server itself....

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

You're right Markus

It's a very sepcific issue related to this platform.

I haven't found any document mentioning that is or is not supported.

Lenin

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't thin that configuration is so special - pretty common in bigger environments.

did you check

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290212.htm

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm reading the manual but it doesn't say how to make it work with the DB13.

It only mention how to backup from the Netbackup side.

Thanks again

Lenin

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried for a few weeks to trigger a NetBackup job from either SQL or SAP and couldn't get it to work. None of their documentation was very helpful in that respect, and the people we have who are familiar with the product didn't think it would work.

Not saying its impossible, but just a heads up that it might take a long time to figure out

If you end up getting it to work though, please share!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have found a Note (Note 1048382 - SQL Server: Third Party Backup Tool support) that mentions that in the future It will be supported scheduling the backups from DB13 when a Third party backup tool is being used.

Now it's not supported.

Our only option by now is put some pressure on the third party backup software (Veritas - NetBackup in this case), SAP and Microsoft so this feature be supported soon.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to throw in my personal opinion:

We used to do all the backups from DB13 too but we switched away from that using now the external tool (in our case Legato/EMC Networker) because it offers a centralized management of the backups. To keep a systems consistent you have to take care about more things than just the database backup:

- if you connect other systems (CRM, SCM, SRM...) they need to backed up "at the same time"

- you have more things to backup (filesystems, /usr/sap/trans etc.)

- if you use J2EE engines, filesystems and database must be backed up at the same time

All those requirements can't be accomplished by DB13, you may use DB13C (or DBACOCKPIT) to manage the database backups, but everything else is out of scope.

That's why finally got rid of DB13 backups and use the external tool to schedule and maintain.

Markus