cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Space on Oracle Mount Points

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In my production environment, which is on ECC 5.0 on HPUX and Oracle DB, my mount point for the Oracle DB files has reached 90% plus......

What is the amount of free space that should be available on these mount points at any point of time. Will there be a performance issue in the above case.

Inputs on this will be appreciated.

Regards

Alfred D'Souza

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

on HP-UX, you must keep around 1% free. If you do not, performance will drop.

if filesystem goes to 100%, HP-UX will sometime leave it at 100% even if you delete some files. to alleviate this problem, instead of delete a file (such as core file), just empty it:

> core

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Alfred,

> What is the amount of free space that should be available on these mount points at any point of time. Will there be a performance issue in the above case.

Personally i try to keep 4 GB free space for each sapdata (for big systems), for smaller i only keep 1 GB.

Performance issues depends on your storage. If you have SAN storage with caches.. performance will be not affected, but if you have local disks it depends on the data striping and the i/o intensive actions.

But in general i say, the performance will be not affected by the free space.. it will only be affacted by the i/o actions and the distributed data over all sapdatas.

Regards

Stefan