cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Memory usage by disp+work

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI all,

We had an issue today where a couple (about 9) disp+work prossors where taking over 1.3GB or RAM each with the highest topping out at just over 2.5GB.

System:

HP RX8620 (itanium)

SAN Attached (HP EVA6000)

Win2003 SP2 IA64

32 GB RAM

8 x IA64 CPU's

SQL 2005 SP2 (IA64)

My concern here is that with all this RAM being taken up by disp+work the system started to page at a high rate which then caused my SQL instance to slow to a dragging pace which caused the application to slow as well :-s

I'm fairly new to SAP... so go easy on my 😛

Thanks in advnace,

Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The issue here is you cannot trust the memory usage statistics you see at the OS level for work processes. They include shared memory areas so there is much replication of memory allocation.

Go to ST02 - Detailed Analysis - Storage for an idea of what is used and add to that the DB memory size if on the same box and also say 1GB for OS and associated memory grazers

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your help on this one !!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

2.5 GB does not seem so high on a 32 GB Itanium Host.

We ahave had the same issue on a 16 GB itanium server because the memory quotas were not correctly defined.

We have now limited the heap memory quota to 4 GB per process which means we get a memory short dump after 2GB in extended memory + 4GB of heap memory.

We have also limited the number of processes in private mode.

The system runs now OK and is protected from heavy swapping.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

There is a possibility that some processes in SAP which is consuming resources.

When this happens again then logon to SAP and execute SM50 transaction. Here you will monitor all processes with process ID which one is causing hign load.

Hope this will help.

-Pinkle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pinkle,

Thanks for that!!

Is there anyway of looking at this data in the past tense? I can see high memory usage by looking at the permon counter that I was running at the time, but is there a way to see this in SAP?

Thanks again,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

You can use ST02, ST04, ST06, ST03N transaction codes to view the performance of SAP.

ST06 will show you the past memory usage.

-Pinkle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pinkle

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can go to transaction

ST02 --> double click on extended memory --> mode list

From there you see a history of which users were using all of your extended memory, and how much memory total.

Russell Hull

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Russell,

Thank you for giving good information, after checking users used extended memory what action has to be take and give some clear information i mean that what is maximum memory use can occupy