Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU & UC from 46c to ERP 2005

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am in Planning phase for CU & UC from 46c to ERP 2005 need to know few things

- Hardware requirement for Unicode preparation system - CPU/ Memory and Storage - I am planning to use Copy of Prod for Unicode prep system : My prod DB is 1TB.. Which SAP verion is recommanded for Unicode Prep- 4.7 on 620 or directely ERP2004 / 640 or ERP 2005700

- Storage requirement for Export dump for 1TB database ??

- Approximate Timing to export / import -- I know it depends on CPU's/ memory etc os source/ target ... in general ??

- SAP suggest 10-30% increase in Memory - any comments ?

- SAP suggest 40-50% increase CPU usage - any comments ?

One last question :

i am planning to use parallel landscape for this for non-prod but Prod I am planning to use same hardware as it is today. any comments on this idea ?

Awating response from experts... thanks in advance....

Jignesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jignesh,

>> I am planning to use Copy of Prod for Unicode prep system : My prod DB is 1TB.. Which SAP verion is recommanded for Unicode Prep- 4.7 on 620 or directely ERP2004 / 640 or ERP 2005700

As you told you have 4.6c ... why are you want to make a copy of the prod system? You can make all preparations for that in the "Live"-system and upgrade directly to ERP 2005 (take a look at sapnote #928729). After that you can make the unicode conversion... i have done a CU&UC for 4.6c to ERP 2005 ... the steps are:

1) Make preparations in 4.6c

2) Upgrade your 4.6c to ERP 2005

3) Make the unicode conversion

4) Make After-Steps

>> Storage requirement for Export dump for 1TB database ??

I have exported a 2.4 TB database.. the export data was round about 550 GB

>> Approximate Timing to export / import -- I know it depends on CPU's/ memory etc os source/ target ... in general ??

There is no general.. in my experience it depends on the biggest tables (if you export parallel) and the cpu for the convertion. I have used distribution monitor and table splitting to get good export times. Only to say some values.. i needed round about 13 hours for exporting and importing the 2.4 TB database with the distribution monitor (package & table splitting)

>> SAP suggest 10-30% increase in Memory - any comments ?

>> SAP suggest 40-50% increase CPU usage - any comments ?

I have seen that the memory is really a big topic.. but the CPU was not as expected... but this also depends on the amount of parallel users. In my experience memory +40% and cpu +25%.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Stefan, Its really helful. really appriciate your help in this regard.

I think, I confussed you with my terminology, ABAP preparion system which we need to use to convert our custom develoment in to unicode compatible.

In this regard, i am planning to use Copy of Prod and then upgrade to unicode compatible version (First uncidoe Compatible version is 4.7 running on WAS 620)

Have you used ABAP preparation system for your project ? What is's your take on version for that system ?

4.7 running on 620 ?

Secondly , for CU and UC following steps are fine.

4) Make After-Steps

need some clarification,

Prepare , SPUM4 etc.....

upgrade to ERP 2005 - non-unicode

We are using All Media/ DVDs ( export and Upgrade master, Kernel etc for non-unicode )

Do we need to make any setting here before I start Export ?

Export / Import and SUMG

4) Make After-Steps

Is this step is all about changing kernel to UC kernel etc......

Appericiate your reponse. Thanks in advance

Jignesh

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jignesh,

>> ABAP preparion system which we need to use to convert our custom develoment in to unicode compatible.

We had a 3-system landscape. After the upgrade and the unicode conversion in the development system, we have made our developments unicode compatible. And we used this transports for the Q and P system - we import them after the unicode migration in Q and P.

>> Have you used ABAP preparation system for your project ? What is's your take on version for that system ?

>> 4.7 running on 620 ?

I don't understand this question.. sorry.

>> Do we need to make any setting here before I start Export ?

It depends on your goals. If export and import time does not matter you can start the export and import without making any settings. If you want performance you maybe have to customize some access paths on tables or define the table / package splitting before the export.

>> Is this step is all about changing kernel to UC kernel etc......

Not only.. you have to change your SAP profiles too, because of the requirements are a little bit different in a unicode system and ERP 2005 system.

There are also some restrictions for reprinting old spool outputs, etc. in the converted unicode system.. so you maybe can reduce the export data in your non-unicode system. This is one of the "Make preparations in 4.6c" steps.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've done the upgrade from 46C MDMP to 620 in the additional system, but we have problems in the RADNTLANG.

Do you have done jet this poject?

Alfredo.

Answers (0)