cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JAVA version issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have xMII 11.5 SR 03 on server with JRE 1.4.2_16 and all clients are having JRE 1.4.2_16.

When I open an HTM page in server/client which has grid, some times data is shown and some times no data shown. I have 4 columns in the grid, only first column will be displayed without column header.

But this behaviour is intermittant. Some times it loads properly with all data.

But when page won't load, I can see the error message "java.lang.Exception:java.lang.NullPointerException"

If I update my cleint to JRE to latest version ie.1.6.0_03 , no issues. Everything works fine.

Request expert openion on this issue.

Will there be any problem if all my clients loaded with 1.6.0_xx version ??

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you try clearing JWS Cache on the clients?

As for 1.6 it still is not supported officially , but I think it would be worth trying on a few client machines under close observation.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your suggestion.

Udayan: I have cleared the cache. But no effect. We have done complete testing on latest version no errors noticed. Recently we realised that work stations on which testing done are auto updated to latest versions. But other workstations which are still having 1.4.2_16 having this problem.

Jamie: We have IGrid and IBrowser loading on load of page. Let me know, what you are doubting about?? that might help me further...

Andy: I too feel the latest JRE performance better than older version.

I think , I will check for few more days. If no problem comes up with 1.6.0_xx, I will go ahead with that.

Pls let me know, if any of you have faced problems with this in your past experience.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you have the SDK installed on the server, or just the JRE?

jamie_cawley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Pages that work sometimes, but sometimes receive null pointers typically are cause by applet dependency issues.

If this is the case, changing the JRE will not work.

Check out page 12 in the xmii best practices doc found in the wiki for more info.

Regards,

Jamie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christian, I have SDK installed in server.

Sam, Pages work without any problem with latest version of JRE at client.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we have been running all our clients with the latest version of java JRE, it actually seems to work the best.

But make sure your servers are not updated.

Andy

jamie_cawley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Out of curiosity, do you have any "body onload" events that are referencing applets or applet "creation" or "firstupdate" events that are referencing another applet?

Regards,

Jamie