Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS/DB Migration AIX to Linux

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

i will peform and test some OS/DB Migration from AIX to Linux.

The following systems are going to be migrated:

• 6.40 (Oracle 9i on AIX 64 Bit) to 6.40 (Oracle 9i on Linux 64 Bit)

• 7.00 (Oracle 10g on AIX 64 Bit) to 7.00 (Oracle 10g on Linux 64 Bit)

Now my question:

1) Are there any Migration Guides for that like the unicode conversion guides? (i don't find any document)

I know that i need some certified os/db migration expert to be keep the support.. but i want to test it before on my own.

Thanks and Regards

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

You will also need to get a migration key from SAP Support. Consider that an SAP resource needs to be involved in order to maintain support of the migrated system(s). We successfully migrated our QA SAP 4.6C/Oracle 9.2 system from AIX-> Linux a few years ago. Export import took forever (days), suggest you benchmark the export/import and review SAP notes relating to large import/exports before doing so...

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefen,

What happend your migration, Did you completed or not ?. Please give me some document how to migrate if you have one.

Thanks

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

For the procedure just stick to the standard system copy guides, they can be found here:

https://service.sap.com/instguides -> netweaver release -> installation (for NW 2004 it is a bit hidden under WebAS)

Regards

Michael

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What do you plan to "migrate"? An R/3 system? There's no "migration" between 6.40 and 7.00...

Markus

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

as i wrote.. i will perform a OS/DB Migration from AIX to Linux. (Big to Little Endian)

The database system is the same (as you can see above from Oracle to Oracle, but the OS changes).

It is a WebAS 6.40 and ERP 2005 (7.00) system.

Regards

Stefan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok - those are two steps then

- Export your Oracle 9i with sapinst (R3load)

- use sapinst to start installation on Linux, sapinst will prompt for the installation of Oracle, install Oracle 10g

- give the export you've done with Oracle 9i

--> You will have an 6.40 (ERP 2004?) on Linux

--> Then upgrade that to ERP 2005 using the normal upgrade procedure

Basically it's a heterogeneous system copy.

Markus

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

you missunderstand me.

I have 2 systems.. one ERP 2005 and one WebAS 6.40 system.

I have to migrate both from AIX to Linux ... nothing more and nothing less.

But ok as you already told me... sapinst and R3load are the tools... i had a doubt, because of the little and big endian between AIX and Linux.

So i export the database with the R3load for AIX (Big Endian) and import the data with R3load for Linux (Little Endian)... no problem... i know the procedure.. but maybe i thought that there is a migration guide with some special steps needed for that migration.

Regards

Stefan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ah - ok - sorry - I misunderstood that indeed.

On export time you will enter the codepage for the target system (in your case 4103) in sapinst. Then the conversion (MSB --> LSB) is done at export time (and will need a bit more of CPU). You can also export as 4102 and then import that export, then the conversion will be done at import time. R3load detects the codepage the export was created from automatically.

To significantly speed up the load, you can enter under "advanced options" in sapinst "-loadprocedure fast" (see note Hinweis 1045847 - ORACLE DIRECT PATH LOAD SUPPORT IN R3LOAD) this will use a different interface on Oracle. If you use that, make sure you use the latest R3load and dboraslib.so.

Using that option gave us a speed increase of ~ 20 - 30 % (for the import itself, not for index creations of course).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

any please give me some idea to migrate from HPUX 4.6c Ora 8.1.7 to Redhat linux 4 Ora 9.0.2.4.

Regards

Karthik