cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with creation of an HEAP Dump

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have tried to create a HEAP Dump (CntrBreak) with the Java-based SAPMC Console (Process Table => server<no.> => DumpStack, but I get no dump on operation system (/usr/sap/<SID>/JC01/j2ee/cluster/server0/). I set the parameter -XX:HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpOnCtrlBreak in the VM. Our Java version is 1.4.12, the OS is Sun Solaris.

Did anyone know why it not functioned in our solution?

Many thanks in advanced.

Patrick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

krumts
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Can you please send me the following two log files from the work direcrory:

/usr/sap/<SID>/<Inst>/work/std_server0.out

/usr/sap/<SID>/<Inst>/work/dev_server0

I hope to find some log entries in the dev_server file if the event was handled by the startup framework, and where (if at all) a heap dump was written.

My address is: krum dot tsvetkov at sap.com

Regards,

Krum

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krum,

thanks for you quick reply. They are no changes in the std_server0.out / std_server0 files. I have checked the files and after sending the "Dump Stack" command, their are no changes in this file.

Is it even possible to send it with the Java-based SAP Management Console or is it only possible with the SAP MMC ?

Best regards

Patrick

krumts
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Java based MC should provide the same functionality as the MMC. I tested today to trigger a heap dump as you have described and I had success.

As the "Dump Stack" action is a protected one, the user should be asked for user/pass. Is it also for you so?

And I have found several notes describing problems with the authentication of the sapstartsrv user on different unix platforms. As there is no action at all logged in your case, I guess that this could be the problem.

Here are the notes I found:

[Note 927637 - Web service authentication in sapstartsrv as of Release 7.00|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/927637]

[Note 992907 - sapstartsrv user authentication on Solaris|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/992907]

I hope this helps.

Have you tried already to perform the action from an MMC?

Regards,

Krum