cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP .NET Connector: How To implement RFC Server destination type Start

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to implement a RFC server application with the SAP .NET connector. There is no problem as long as I use a TCP-IP destination of type "Registration". But I need to use a destination of type "Start" so that I can start the RFC Server on the client's computer. Is there any way to do this? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

vinc

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

reiner_hille-doering
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, for the .NET Connector it's not a difference if the RFC server is started from itself (e.g. that it is implemented as a NT service and registers it at the gateway) or that it is stated by the gateway on demand.

Note that the sample main function is already prepared for the sitution, because the command line that is passed to your RFC server when it is stated by the gateway is correctly forwarded to the RFC framework.

However - as I wrote before, the RFC server must be stated by the corresponding Gateway. On NT this normally only possible, of Gateway and RFC server run on the same machine. In many situation this means that you need to deploy you RFC server to an R/3 host. Or you have to install a stand allone Gateway. In both cases you must make sure that in you Destination the Gateway is going to start you RFC server is specified correctly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all: thanks a lot for the quick answer!

But I have another question: I am able to start the RFC server via a TCP/IP destination of type "Start". But the actual call to my Remote Function Module is never executed. The RFC server just hangs in the loop in the main method. However I can write to the EventLog from within the main method but the Function module is not called.

Could you give me a hint how to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

reiner_hille-doering
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First of all you must differ between different kinds of "start".

You have

- start on explicit host

- start on application server

- start on Front end workstation (GUI).

The stuff I mentioned above was about the first two options. Start on GUI is a completely different story that I have ansered in the other thread.

For the first two cases, the sample main functions should at least "somehow work". You could experience high CPU usage cases and you could experience cases where you app is not ended correctly. But at least a call should work.