cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining JAAS subject in a servlet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

G'day,

There are problems in Java with getting the JAAS subject, as the standard Subject.getSubject() call can return null if called within a privileged action:

Subject s = Subject.getSubject(AccessController.getContext());
Subject.doAs(s, new PrivilegedAction() {
  public Object run() {
    Subject s1 = Subject.getSubject(AccessController.getContext());
    AccessController.doPrivileged(new PrivilegedAction() {
      public Object run() {
        Subject s2 = Subject.getSubject(AccessController.getContext());
        return null;
      }
    }
    return null;
  }
}

Here, s2 may be null, which is why other app servers have custom approaches (such as JBoss and its SecurityAssociation.getSubject() call).

Is there a similar API for Netweaver AS Java for obtaining the JAAS subject? Or can the JAAS subject be obtained always using the standard Java API?

Edit I put the above code into a servlet protected by BasicLoginModule, and all three subject objects (s, s1, and s2) were null. I thought that at least 's' would be non-null, but apparently not.

--Geoff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

this security stuff is not my level of expertise, but maybe the right section of the manuals can help:

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/b9/9482887ddb3e47bd1a738c3e900195/frameset.htm]

Check here and come back if something is missing.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

G'day,

Thanks for the link to the JAAS login module section of the SAP Library documentation.

I have already written a custom JAAS login module (which populates a subject with principals and their credentials), but I am looking for the Netweaver equivalent of JBoss's SecurityAssociation.getSubject() that can be called from any code. I did not find anything suitable while searching through the SAP Library documentation.

However, I did stumble upon an API that might be useful:

Object object = com.sap.security.core.InternalUMFactory.getEngineResourceHelper();
if (object != null && object instanceof com.sap.security.core.IEngineResourceHelper) {
  com.sap.security.core.IEngineResourceHelper helper = 
      (com.sap.security.core.IEngineResourceHelper) object;
  Subject subject = helper.getCurrentSubject();
}

The class name InternalUMFactory suggests that this API may be undocumented or unstable.

If I have a servlet protected by the BasicLoginModule, and I authenticate to the servlet using a username/password, then the subject returned is a principal with the correct username, and with password credentials.

If the servlet is not protected by a login module, then the subject returned is "Guest".

If I put the servlet as an iView within a portal, then the subject returned is "Guest", even though the portal is protected by a login module and authentication is required. I thought here that the Subject for the portal would be propogated to the servlets running in that portal, but maybe my understanding is wrong.

--Geoff

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Geoff,

I'll forward you to the security forum, as I hope they know better then me...

Regards,

Benny

Sorry, for some reason couldn't do this. Please try in the security forum, I'll check how to move this thread...

Regards,

Benny

Edited by: Benny Schaich-Lebek on Feb 8, 2008 10:22 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

G'day,

I have posted a variant of this question on the Security forum:

--Geoff