cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between Mobile Infrastructure 7.0 and 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I need some help is determining what are the differences between MI 7.0 and MI 7.1. From what I have been able to determine, here are the differences:

MI 7.0

- Has ABAP+JAVA stack.

- Doesn't have Data Orchestration Engine

Mobile 7.1

- There is only an ABAP Stack. No JAVA stack is required.

- Netweaver Mobile Administrator has been completely re-written in ABAP WebDynpro (is this why there is no JAVA stack?)

- Completely re-designed middleware (now has Data Orchestration Engine).

- WebDynPro runtime is part of the Mobile Client for hand helds.

Really what I need to know is why there is no JAVA stack in NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 and any other major differences there are. We are in a position where 7.1 is in ramp-up so we have to decide whether or not to install 7.0 and do an upgrade later or wait to get in the ramp up program (for like a month). Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I would expect you have MI installed because you want to use SAP or custom developed mobile application.

If this is the case you have to double-check this application compatibility with 7.1.

For example MAM 3.0 prior to SR5 (wich is not even released to rump-up yet) will not run on MI7.1.

Because 7.1 is very different architecturally you will need to do changes in your own custom app to support it.

Regards,

Larissa Limarova

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have just one more question: Can the NW Mobile 7.1 Administrator deploy the mobile client and the Creme to a device? Does each device have to be manually configured? Is Tivoli or something along those lines required? Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

the Mobile Administrator offers you the possibility to build Setup/Software Packages.

Theses Packages can include the DB, Mobile Client, Applications and Application Data ( Setup Packages) .

For PDA unfortunetly it is currently not possible to integrate the creme in one of those packages, because the Steup/Software Package requires the creme for the execution. Therefore the creme needs to be installed on the client before.

Best Regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan. But in the end you would have to initially deploy the creme and setup/software package (containing the mobile client) manually before you could then go to a normal schedule of updating applications during synchronization. Is that correct?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Absolutely, CrE_ME has to be installed manually before deploying & running mobile application on a PDA/ Hand-Held device

In Hand-Held Device, use following link:

Start --> File Explorer --> My Device --> My Documents

In “My Documents” all the CAB Files copied through computer will be visible. Install them in the following sequence.

- CrE_ME: Its framework which is basis for loading container on HH Device

- DB2E

- PDA Runtime

- PDA_eswt_container: Its container for OCA application

george_hamilton
Participant
0 Kudos

Isn't there a way to package (software package) every thing together except for the Creme?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, the decision is to release MI7.1 on 20th of MArch for public availabiliy as I have heared and read a few days ago her ein the forum.

There is easter in 2 weeks - so it is only one complete week left for working. If you want to do custom dev and not go with a SAP standard app I would wait for 7.1 cause of all the benefits this version has if it comes to usability, stability, performance, etc. Nearly all Lessons learned form MI2.1 to MI7.0 SAP has put into the dev of MI7.1.

But if you need to use a SPA standard app like MAM or so - then go with MI7.0, cause these apps will not be available in the next weeks for public and they are actually in dev and not that stable I suppose.

Regards,

Oliver

george_hamilton
Participant
0 Kudos

I think the March date is the target completion date for ramp-up.

This is from Service Marketplace

Key Data

Target Release to customer: May 11th, 2007 (a mistake, must be 2008).

Target Completion date Ramp-Up: Q1, 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well, it could be May 2007 - if we say this is when the first customer was able to use it (in Ramp-Up)

Or am I wrong here?

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

you are absolutely right, this is a documentation issue.

I already forwarded the issue to the responsible information developer, it will be fixed as soon as possible.

NWDI is just an optional component.

The NWDI leverages for example version control, team development and transport managment for mobile client development.NWDI is installed on a JAVA Stack. There is no other reason to install a Java Stack for NetWeaver Mobile except the NWDI.

Again thank you very much for your feedback !

Best Regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much Stefan. One more question: You wouldn't have to install the Java Stack during the installation of NW Mobile 7.1 right? NWDI would be installed on a completely different machine and there is where you would install the Java Stack, correct?

Also, how easy is it to switch between single developer mode (no NWDI) and then begin using NWDI?

Thanks so much for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

exactly. You wouldn't need to install the Java Stack during the installation of NW Mobile 7.1.

This is a completly seperate installation and a seperate tool.

In general the NWDI should be installed on a seperate machine, because it could be used for many JAVA development projects. You only need the JAVA Stack on the machine where you wan't to install the NWDI.

It is easy to switch from single to multi developer mode. Because even if you start in single developer, you will create development components which are NWDI compatible. These development components can be uploaded to the NWDI repository also at a later point of time.

Best Regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

the complete architecture has changed.

This is really a major change and the change focus on the following topics:

Higher Scalability

Higher Productivity and Flexibility in Development

Improved Mobile Device Management, Monitoring and Security

Investment Protection

You are completly right. There is no need of a JAVA Stack anymore. The complete mobile administrator is now based on Web Dynpro ABAP.

So you don't need to install and maintain a JAVA Stack for mobile anymore.

You can also take a look into the overview presentation and the major improvements presentation

[NetWeaver Mobile - Mobilize your Buisness|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a06b70e7-d618-2a10-f0a9-b52ad358daa3]

[NetWeaver Mobile - Major Improvements|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c043fccc-d618-2a10-14ba-90933fb01192]

If you are interested in the architecture & development please visit our eLearning section:

[eLearning Mobile|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-mobile?rid=/webcontent/uuid/20d4fa93-6560-2a10-2eaf-bae62250d6f5] [original link is broken];

Best Regards,

Stefan

Edited by: Stefan Wawrzinek on Feb 6, 2008 3:24 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan. I really appreciate your timely response.

I've noticed some problems and discrepancies with the help.sap.com documentation and installation documentation on Service Market Place.

The link for the Master Guide for SAP NW Mobile 7.1 now gives you the Media List guide PDF.

The help on help.sap.com states in one section that you don't need a JAVA stack to develop but you do need one to enable Mobile applications.

Develop -

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmobile71/helpdata/en/44/f003bd21ec2839e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Excerpt:

Required and Optional Installable Units

To use this variant, you require the following installable units:

● Mobile

● SAP NetWeaver Development Infrastructure (DI)

● Application Server ABAP (AS ABAP)

● Application Server Java (AS JAVA) – optional

For enabling:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmobile71/helpdata/en/44/f003bd21ec2839e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Excerpt:

Required and Optional Installable Units

To use this variant, you require the following installable units:

● Mobile

● Application Server ABAP (AS ABAP)

● Application Server Java (AS-JAVA)

Is this just a mistake?

Also, is NWDI (DI) required? We are just doing a pilot and my understanding is that NWDI is not required unless you have multiple developers. Thanks (I'm asking all of these questions because I see you are a SAP employee and probably are working on the Mobile program).