cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UML in Netweaver Developer Studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I have read many things about UML in this forum. And I found Borland Together and the Rational Software Architect. But both cannot create ABAP code.

Together is very good, I downloaded a trial, because it integrates into the SNDS. The problem is that it is very expensive and it only creates JAVA code.

Does anybody know something about creating code in ABAP and JAVA with UML. I need both so it would be much better to create things in UML because everybody can easy understand how the classes work together.

Thank you for help.

Best regards

Patrick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Stromberg would answer: "Es wäre auch schön, wenn die Kuh noch Eier legen würde - macht sie aber nicht." ("It also would be fine if the cow would lay eggs - but it doesn't!")

Together definitely is the first choice for Java (even if the NWDS integration is quite old and has some shortcomings), the only thing for ABAP I know is http://ensemble-systems.com/products/ibm/uml/roseabaplink (but I'm not an ABAP guy at all maybe there's more).

Hope it helps

Detlev

PS: Please consider rearding points for helpful answers on SDN. Thanks in advance!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Detlev!

Thank you for your answer. I know there ist no "Eierlegendewollmilchsau" (no translation) but there is always hope...

I found the rose-link many times and the problem is, that IBM changed versions (there isn't rose2003 any more) and now I can create UML with rational software architect and not with rose. So this software doesn't work with software architect (I already tried). Does anyone solved this problem?

So you think together is good for Java. I agree (the trial is very good) but it would be nice to have some free software. Even if it is not that good as Together

Thank you for your help

Patrick

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

I absolutely know no Java developer who loved RationalRose - are you the first? Definitely it was mighty, but all but intuitive...

Beneath Together, a very intuitive tool in the Java world is Gentleware's "Poseidon for UML" - http://www.gentleware.com/index.php

There is also a Community Edition available, but for "real work" you'll need to buy a license.

Hope it helps

Detlev

PS: As far as I remember, the Eclipse integration of Poseidon is based on Eclipse 3 (understandable, but not that helpful for us SAP developers working on a museum-like IDE...)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Detlev!

I never used RationalRose. I just started with UML and now I'm looking for tools. So I found Rose, the Software Architect and Together. So I am a UML-beginner.

But I definetly agree with you that Together very good vor Java an now finding an Abap tool which can make the same would be perfect (I'm not an Abap programer, but in my team there are some, and they would be happy). I cannot believe that SAP hasn't got any tool for Apab-UML. I asked them and they only answered: "in sdn you can find some articles about that". Wow, I didn't know!

Thank you for the gentleware link, I will try how this is, compared to Borland...

Thank you very much for your help.

Patrick

PS: perhaps SAP will provide a tool for UML... g (definitely in my dreams... )

Answers (0)