cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxanomy-Multiple attributes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SDNers,

I have a taxanomy table and have assigned attributes at various levels. It is possible to assign Values to these attributes. However i would like to know how can i assign different values to the same attribute and link them to different records.

For eg

My taxonomy structure is like

|Emp1

|

__SChannel1

__Div1

|__Dept1 (Attribute-Department, Value-Dept Head)

|Emp2

|

__SChannel2

__Div2

|__Dept2 ((Attribute-Department, Value-Dept Mgr))

I have assigned Attribue "Department" to Dept1 and Dept2

Now I would like to assign Attribute Values to Department say

"Department Head" and "Department Manager" to Emp1 and Emp2 respectively.

Problem with above eg is when we see in data manager for any of the employee all the attribute values are shown like both department head and department manager. Wewant to see attribute value only specific to the record.

Plz give us the procedure to solve this.

POINTS WILL BE REWARDED FOR CORRECT SOLUTION.

Regards,

Neethu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

Let me tell you one thing more clearly, when you assign different text values Dept Mgr, and Dept Head to an attribute say Department. These values will be stored in a Flat table by default.

Now you want to see like this:

1. Emp1>SChannel1>Div1>Dept1>(Attribute-Department, Value-Dept Head)

2. Emp2>SChannel2>Div2>Dept2>(Attribute-Department, Value-Dept Mgr)

Now when you will select the value Dept Head for Emp1, DM will ask you to pick from the list of 2 values (Dept Head, Dept Mgr), reason is you are taking these values from a lookup.

But if i will do the same scenario , this would be the steps:

1. Take Emp<x>, SChannel<x> as a main table fields.

2. Take Div as taxonomy with two hierarchies Dept1, and Dept2 , then link attribute Department to Dept<x>, and save two values for it.

Now if you will enter in DM,

The record will be say:

Emp Schannel Div

Alok Abc Dept1(Hier), Dept Head(attr)

Neethu mno Dept2(hier), Dept Mgr(attr)

Rewards if found helpful.

BR,

Alok

Edited by: Alok Sharma on Feb 6, 2008 6:28 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Thanks for ur reply.

But alok i cant change my hierarchy structure.And i have to assign attribute values tooo as stated .So could u plz tell me a way to work with that only.I need to assign only one attribute value to a record from multiple attribute value.

Regards,

Neethu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Netthu,

From your example, It seem under taxonomy mode Dept1 and Dept2 are two values for the hierarchy (means lie at lowest level in hierarchy or at the last) and you are linking attribute Depatment to both of these.

Now if i consider in DM, you are entering Dept1 and Dept2 in two different records. Let me assume this Taxonomy table is Employee and it refers to main table field Emp, means in DM you will enter a value for EMP selecting from Dept1 and Dept2, in addition you will also enter an attribute for these two hierarchies.

So dear Neethu, If your hierarchy is like:

EMP<x>>Schannel<x>>Div-->Dept<x> (Department attr)

Then DM will allow only to choose value from Dept1 and Dept2.

Now when you will select Dept1 in DM, a new textbox will appear immediately under EMP field asking for attribute value.

I think, i am clear till now. after this you will enter a value choosing from Dept Mgr or Dept Head for this hierarchy value from the lookup list, DM will allow you to select only one.

This is your case, when you will see in record in record pane you will see only Dept1 value in EMP field, and in record detail pane attribute value Dept Mgr. similarly for Dept2.

According to me this is not the right Hierarchy Structure.

Because of the values of text attributes are by default stored in lookup tables, you see two values Dept Mgr and Dept Head.

Hope this will help you.

BR,

Alok

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

In your case taxonomy structure is like and you want to have many values to a single attribute and then link that attribute to different records

|Emp1

|

|__SChannel1

|

|__Div1

|

|__Dept1 (Attribute-Department, Value-Dept Head,Value-Dept MGR)

In the data manager's taxonomy mode to the specific leaf node such as Dept1 create attribute named as Department and in the attribute detail create multiple values such as Dept Mgr and Dept Head and then link the attribute Department to the leaf node Dept1.

If required u can also create Multivalued Values for Attributes by clicking on the Multivalued checkbox in attribute details.

After creation and linking of attributes to the taxonomy u then need to assign it records.

Go in record mode and assign the taxonomy to multiple records like

Record1 -->> Dept1 -->> attribute Department -->> Value Dept Head

Record2 -->> Dept1 -->> attribute Department -->> Value Dept Mgr

Hope dis helps u

Regards Tejas.........

Former Member
0 Kudos

Possible attribute values are created in taxonomy mode under the attribute detail tab. Just choose 'Add' and type the possible values you want to assign to each record.

Once the attribute is defined you go back to record mode, assign the appropriate taxonomy to your main table record, and that attribute will be available with the values you defined.

The taxonomy leaf you assign each record determines which attributes are available. I.e. only the attributes linked to that taxonomy leaf (linking is done in taxonomy mode) are available.

Tim