Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update organizationnal level value on a thousand roles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I need to modify some organizationnal value for a thousand roles.

The problem consists of copy some thousand roles with a different value on organizationnal level (Plant, company code, sales organization,...).

We're setting up a new site in a new region with the same functionnality.

The question is : How can I do it rapidly ? do you have some code (abap script for example ...)about it

Another idea ? I'm thinking about CATT but i'm not used on that tool.

Thanks a lot gurus

12 REPLIES 12

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What version of SAP are you on?

If you have access to CATTs (rather than eCATTS) then it might be possible if:

1. You have a few master roles and lots of derived roles

2. There are not multiple values in each org field

Another alternative would be to get your ABAP team to write some code to update AGR_1252

If it's only 1000 roles though you might be better off doing it manually. If you know the values you should be able to manually do 180+ in 1 day so less than 2 weeks in total. You may spend this (or more) creating and testing CATTs or an ABAP

former_member74904
Contributor
0 Kudos

changing org. values with either CATT or LSMW will present you with some hard to overcome problems.

you could possibly use table AGR_1252 which stores the org. values for all roles.

you need to remember though, that you are directly updating tables when going for the AGR_1252 approach, which has its own pros and cons.

also, in hindsight you could conclude that using the derived role principle could maybe have saved you alot of time.

edit: Alex was first...

Edited by: Dimitri on Feb 5, 2008 2:00 PM

0 Kudos

One very nonstandard solution -if the number of fields and values does not change but only the contents- is to download the roles you want to change and do a search and replace in the download file.

Look for lines starting with AGR_1252 and keep in mind the file is fixed record length so if the original and new values differ in length you'll need to add spaces to the either the searchstring or the replacestring. Also take care of your parent roles, they're also in the download and have to remain untouched......

This one is at your own risk

Use a sandbox system!

Backup the original downloadfile and work in a copy.

Edited by: Jurjen Heeck on Feb 5, 2008 3:09 PM

0 Kudos

>

> Look for lines starting with AGR_1252 and keep in mind the file is fixed record length so if the original and new values differ in length you'll need to add spaces to the either the searchstring or the replacestring.

lol, I was bitten by that one a few years back. Luckily I was just messing about in a sandbox.

0 Kudos

>

> >

> > Look for lines starting with AGR_1252 and keep in mind the file is fixed record length so if the original and new values differ in length you'll need to add spaces to the either the searchstring or the replacestring.

>

> lol, I was bitten by that one a few years back. Luckily I was just messing about in a sandbox.

Oh, I've been bitten more than once

As a protection I wrote some VBA code that reads the download into an excelsheet, splitting it per table and field. In there I mess around with the values and reconstruct the file with VBA again, restoring all record lengths to their original spec.

The main reason playing with downloads can really bite is that the import function has too few checks in it. It was obviously not meant to tackle files that were edited between down- and upload

Seeing the response from the original poster and guesstimating the experience level let me please take back my advice to meddle with downloads.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Waouh, thanks a lot for your rapid reponses.

We're on 4.6C and we are working on upgrade to ECC6.

I try to use derived roles, but there are some roles with different functions. I mean the thousand roles represent a thousand parent roles. In this company, there are around 10 thousands roles (parent and derived roles included).

I'm not sure if we try to develop an abap program we have enough time to copy and update all roles. The go-live is approximately in three weeks. I'm not expert on abap and developers seem to be very busy.

If I try to develop the program myself, how many time do you think i can finish it ? I've never used abap in my life :=( , but I can understand a program if comments are clear.

or using CATT is the best solution ? I used it 2 years ago for creating 200 users, I don't remember exactly how to do it

Thanks again

0 Kudos

1000 parent roles per plant?? Bfffff.... did they tell you that before you took the job? (just joking...)

Considering that you are upgrading from 46C to ECC6.0 and will need to do some maintenance on the other 1000 parent roles for n x plants anway, this might be your opportunity to simplify the authorization concept somwhat?

Is that an option for you?

Is it an option to first upgrade, and then migrate the new plant (and roles to use it)?

Anyway, if you have only 3 weeks left to do this and all the upgrade tasks before go live, then... (not sure what to say here - but an image of "the A-team" building a battle-tank out of a deserted mine workshop flashed infront of me).

Kind regards,

Julius

0 Kudos

>

> Waouh, thanks a lot for your rapid reponses.

>

> We're on 4.6C and we are working on upgrade to ECC6.

>

> I try to use derived roles, but there are some roles with different functions. I mean the thousand roles represent a thousand parent roles. In this company, there are around 10 thousands roles (parent and derived roles included).

>

> I'm not sure if we try to develop an abap program we have enough time to copy and update all roles. The go-live is approximately in three weeks. I'm not expert on abap and developers seem to be very busy.

>

> If I try to develop the program myself, how many time do you think i can finish it ? I've never used abap in my life :=( , but I can understand a program if comments are clear.

> or using CATT is the best solution ? I used it 2 years ago for creating 200 users, I don't remember exactly how to do it

>

> Thanks again

Hi Hery-zo,

With something like this, I would not even attempt to write a program unless you are proficient in ABAP.

I would say that it would take you longer to create an ABAP than do it all manually.

As you are on 4.6 then you can use CATTs to speed up some of the process. But it is still a 2 step process.

What I would be thinking is.....

Record a script which does the following:

1. Enter role name of the new role that you want

2. Enter title

3. Enter parent role in the field "derive from role"

4. Goto Auth tab and generate profile name (or enter one if you wish)

5. Change Auth data and cancel the org level popup

6. Click on the copy data button and OK that. Don't forget this bit as it will save you loads of time

7. Generate role and exit

Depending on the system performance you should be able to create 1000 roles in 1 or 2 hours.

You only need to parameterise the following fields:

New Role Name

Role Title

Parent Role

Populate Auth Data

As you have loads of master roles (horrible situation but we have all been thre) then it is not really feasible to script the input of data due to different number of fields etc.

Create yourself a list of all the new org values and manually update and generate each role.

If you calculate at 1 role per minute (easy) then that is 60 per hour

60*7 (though 7h per day 3 weeks before golive sounds a bit low... ) = 420 per day. Lets say 3 days to do the lot, less of yo have help (don't forget we have scripted the role create so help could be anyone).

Even with conservative timings that should take a week, leaving you 2 weeks to do all the other activities.

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine.

0 Kudos

not exactly 1000 plants, its 1000 parent roles with different functions and different organization level

For example, one role consists of LSMW transaction only, one parent role for create customer, one derived for 085 plant ...so it attempt approximately 10, 000 roles for 20,000 users.

In three weeks, there are no upgrade, its just for setting up another site.

Upgrade to ECC6 is for september, and SAP team has the responsibilty to do it, i'm not really afraid for it ;=), and as you said, its the real opportunity to optimize and simplify authorization topic.

Ok, thanks a lot guy, is anyone have a job opportunity for me ? ;=)

0 Kudos

Thanks Alex,

I think your suggestion is the best method to do it. I've just consulted the SAP help and using CATT is the solution. I remember how to use it.

I'll give it a go !!!

thanks for your participation gurus !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very useful and pragmatic responses.

Thanks sdn gurus

0 Kudos

Sorry for the pessimism

I can imagine that if something is possible and Alex & Jurjen say they have done it, then you are in good company here.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Julius