cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadcast messages to logged on users in portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I want to display a message on the masthead of the portal so that all the users who have logged into the portal can see the message.

one webpage is created and placed in the client's server. we are accessing the url & capturing the message in portal through URL iview.

is there any way to create a html/text file and place in portal to capture the message so that users whenever they need, they can change the message????

regards,

vv.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can create HTTP alias for server path and place the html in that server path. Or this html can be uploaded in KM and its url can be obtained. You can thus use this html from portal as URL iView in first case and KM iView in second case.

Think you will be interested in these also.

Regards,

Harini S

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

This blog is nice one...... I think it is better to go with this blog...

I implemented this blog with some modification, by avoiding popup used layer with sliding effect from bottom of masthead section.

Also created a cookie in client side for each message to ensure that message is not repeating on next event. If you need any help on this please inform.

Regards

Baby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harini & Baby,

Thanks for your reply

can you pls tell me how to create HTTP alias for server path and place the html/text file in server. I have created an html file, uploaded in KM and used the url and i tried to place in URL iview. But it is not working.

when i placed the file "/documents/folder/abc.html" in km document iview, it is working. But how can i capture the message from km iview to display on the masthead area.

our client requirement is they need a html/text file to be placed at their server so that they can change the messages of their own at any time instead of raising request for us to change everytime. whenever they change the messages in html file. the message must reflect in the portal masthead area.

I need to capture the message from html/text file and display it on the masthead area. and is it possible without any coding which was provided by you in the links.

regards,

vv.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

KM Document iView itself is sufficient for displaying the content but why not use it directly instead of putting in masthead. You can add the KM iview to default frameworkpage and align it under masthead after which you can have toolbar, TLN etc. That will solve the purpose.

Regards,

Harini S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harini,

can you pls tell me how to add KM iview to the masthead iview of the default framework page.

i want to place an html file in one server use that file in portal for capturing the message. whenever the user changes the message in the html file, the changed message must reflect in the portal instead of everytime uploading the file into KM.

how can i achieve this?

when i changed in the html file, it is not reflecting in the km iview when i see the preview.

pls it is very urgent

vv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First thing I want to say is not to use urgent. You cannot expect a faster answer if that appears. Please read the rules of engagement. https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/HOME/RulesofEngagement

Now for the answer,

That is right. You will have to upload each time into KM. Best approach is to create HTTP alias. When file is changed, it would reflect in portal iView also. Check this link for more info.

Assign points for helpful answers.

Regards,

Harini S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think,It is better to place your html/text file in km folder itself and create an iview to edit these content online from portal and create a km iview for the same.

You can follow the following code to add your iview to framework page.

1. Go to Content Administrator,find your portal default framework page, open it.

2. Meantime go to km iview, which you want to include in framework page.

3. Right click on km iview->Add iview to Page.

This will add your iview to frame work.

4. In the opened frame work page check the option visible for newly added km iview.

5. Then click the option button page layout to see the layout of framework page.

Here you can see newly added km iview.

6.Drag your iview to proper position (after masthead and toolbar iview.)

Please keep a copy of framework page then try these changes and preview it.

Also your km iview should be of proper height and width.

Please go through following link before making any changes..

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e549a890-0201-0010-3f8b-d3b85245...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/b4/771158e4cb4bf6af9974380948db86/content.htm

Regards

Baby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Baby,

I have created and added to framework page as mentioned by you. Its working fine.

the message is displaying with background colour as grey and the remaining space in that area as white colour. How can i make the complete area as a same colour. I have tried for all options. i did not find any option to change.

the message is displaying in between masthead & tool area but i have to scroll to see the message. is there any way to remove scroll bar?

can we transport framework page from dev to quality server or is there any other method we have to follow.

Harini : I have tried creating HTTP alias. I am able to create alias but when i tried to open the path in the browser, it is not opening.

vv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Copy the file to the alias path. Then try restarting the server to check if the alias is recognised. It has worked for me.

Regards,

Harini S

• Reward points for helpful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please follow these procedure to solve format issues

1. Set km iview Height Type as FIXED and height as 25.

2. In your html you have to make some changes....

Note: Netscape and IE give the body tag a default margin of 8px. We have overwrite these properties, otherwise it will take more space in masthead area.

This is a sample code..

<html>
< body style="height:100%; width:100%; background=#DDFDDD; margin: 1px 0px 0px 0px">
 <marquee>
This is a new message</marquee>
</body>
</html>

You have to set height, width to 100% and set some background color to remove patch effect.

You can transport framework page like any other pcd object.

Regards

Baby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Baby.

When i am trying to upload html file in KM documents in DEV server, the following message is displaying

"abc.html does not exist, or file is empty, you cannot upload empty files"

Is there anything i have to check for permissions for me for uploading files in KM.

vv.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I solved the problem myself by adding the following 2 entries in the server node java parameters in config tool.

1) -Djava.io.tmpdir=e:\EP_TEMP

2) -Dcm.tmpdir=e:\EP_TEMP

after adding these two entries, save and restart the cluster.

after this i am able to upload the files into KM folder.

vv.

Answers (0)