cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Dialog instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are upgrading from oracle 9i to 10G an SAP instance with 1DB server and 2 Application server (dialog instance).

When installing oracle 9 we used to execute "sapserver.cmd" on the database server and "sapclient.cmd" on the dialog server.

On SAP installation guide "Upgrade to Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2): Windows" we have no instructions concerning the dialog server.

On the oracle 10.2 DVD there is a "sapserver.cmd" but there is no "sapclient.cmd".

Can anybody help us ?

what do you lunch to install oracle 10.2 on a dialog instance ?

Edited by: Djam RABEHI on Feb 5, 2008 10:15 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

with Oracle10 SAP is going to use the so called Oracle Instant Client, which is a set of DLLs, which is no longer installed using Oracle Universal Installer (as it was on Oracle9).

All dialog instance installations supporting Oracle10 will ask you for the Oracle Client CD/DVD (for Oracle10) and will automatically extract the client to the right place.

There is no special installation of the Oracle Client software anymore.

regards

Peter

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very helpful

Thank You

Joshua

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have found one column from Oracle 10.2 upgrade guide .this below steps may be helpful to u.If u have a upgrade guide plz go thru the step 4.1.2 it is clear mentions how to load client software in central and dialog instances in windows .

4.1.2 Installing the Oracle 10g Client Software

-

To install the Oracle 10g database client software perform one of the following steps on the central

and dialog instance.

n If you have an instance-specific exe directory on the central instance host, you install and replicate

the client software automatically with sapcpe on each application server, every time the system

starts:

n If you do not have an instance-specific exe directory on the central instance host, you have to

install the client software manually on the central instance host.

The following describes both procedures.

Caution

If you want to upgrade from Oracle 10.1.0 to Oracle 10.2. you have to delete the old Oracle instant

client software before you extract the Oracle 10.2. instant client:

1. Enter the following command in the DIR_CT_RUN [page 54] and all $(DIR_INSTANCE)\exedirectories:

type dbclient.lst

2. Delete all files and directories listed in dbclient.lst.

Procedure

1. The following step is only relevant on the central instance host:

Extract the platform-specific OCL102<xx>.sar archive on the central instance as follows:

06/19/2007 PUBLIC 27/58

4 Oracle Database Upgrade

4.2 Copying and Adapting the SQL*Net Files

Note

n The archive is located on the Oracle 10g Client Software DVD in the directory

OCL_WINDOWS_<platform>.

n To unpack the archive, use the latest sapcar.exe program, which you find on the Oracle

RDBMS DVD in the directory: NT\<platform>\SAP.

n In mixed environments (32-bit and 64-bit) you have to extract the archive in the respective

directory on both platforms.

n If you have an instance-specific exe directory on the central instance host, extract the

platform-specific OCL102<xx>.sar archive to the DIR_CT_RUN [page 54] directory.

Open a command prompt and enter the following commands in a separate line:

cd <path_to_DIR_CT_RUN>

sapcar -xvf <path_to OCL_WINDOWS_<platform>>\OCL102<xx>.SAR

n If you do not have an instance-specific exe directory on the central instance host, extract the

platform-specific OCL102<xx>.sar archive to the DIR_EXECUTABLE [page 54] directory.

Open a command prompt and enter the following commands in a separate line:

cd <path_to_DIR_EXECUTABLE>

sapcar -xvf <path_to OCL_WINDOWS_<platform>>\OCL102<xx>.SAR

2. Define the following parameter in all instance profiles:

DIR_CLIENT_ORAHOME=$(DIR_EXECUTABLE)

Jagadish.........

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For windows dialog instance, you just need to extract the oracle 10.2 instant client in the kernel directory.

You can find the 10.2 instant client on SAP market place.

Regards,

Antoine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much !

Just to be clear: on my Application server, I will still have an oracle home directory /oracle/SID/920 ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you upgrade from oracle 9i to 10g, your old oracle 9i home directory will no more be of any use.

For the instant client:

Find file OCL10264.SAR on SAP market place (Downloads -> Database Patches ->oracle ->oracle xx (32 or 64) bits -> Oracle 10.2.0 -> Oracle instant client 10.2.0.2 -> OS)

Download it on your application server, and extract it

(In a dosbox : SAPCAR -xvf OCL10264.SAR)

Regards,

Antoine