Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a single serial number for multiple materials

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help here.

I would like to be able to issue a single serial number for a line item in a Sales Order, also when the quantity is bigger than one.

I tried OIS2, but the options there for serial number usage is only None / Optional / Obligatory / Automatic.

I appreciate anyone's help.

Amit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Rauno
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

if you want to learn more details about batch management, than check this out: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/25/28428b4f7811d18a150000e816ae6e/frameset.htm

Be careful, when implementing batches - they have heavy impact on your logistic processes and should only be used if realy needed.

Regards

Rauno

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello, friend.

may i suggest instead of a serial number, you assign a batch number.

regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your response.

Can you elaborate more on what a batch number is and how to use it?

Thanks and regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello, friend.

in general, materials can managed in batches depending on characteristics you defined. for example, batches can be managed on a FIFO or LIFO basis, or a "first expiry out" basis.

in your case, you want to assign an identifying number to a number of materials. you can use an alphanumeric or a numeric ID to these materials and they will form a batch. if you have more than one batch (more than one number), you can choose the specific batch in the sales order or the delivery, whether manually or automatically.

you activate batch in several ways and levels, either client, plant or material. you will find the "batch management" tick box in the material master. your inventory will be displayed in batches as well.

there are many threads that deal in batch management. you can look for them in the thread search.

regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I do not think so u can assign one serial number to multiple materials.

Example

Suppose u r manufacturing 100 pular bikes, each pular bike will have different serial number & engine number. U can't assign one serial number for 100 bikes & it not possible also

Steps involved in creating & assigning serial nos

1. Assign the serial number profile in corresponding material master

2.Create separate serial nos with tcode: IQ01

3.Upload the stock for corresponding material with Tcode:MB1C

While uploading itself it will ask for serial number ---> assign it

4.Then create the sales order. U can assign the serial number in delivery document also

hope this helps u

Regards,

Arun Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Thanks for the reply.

Our products are mainly software products, therefore, unlike bikes, it does make sense businesswise to assign a single serial number to mutiple products. Sometimes we sell hundreds of untis to a single customer, and we want to maintain a single serial number for them.

Best regards,

Amit