cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB13 backup on usb drive.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

I want to backup my database to my External USB HDD mapped on my PRD server, through DB 13.

The database I am using is MS SQL 2005 and OS Windows 2003.

Please tell me about the steps involved to do the same

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rahul,

In addition to the above, choose recurrance, retention period - being aware that depending on your backup options may not be able to overwrite a previous backup until the retention period has passed.

Regards,

Ken S.

Edited by: Ken Shannon on Feb 22, 2008 7:43 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rahul,

High-level steps are as follows:

1) Connect USB drive so that it can be seen by O/S, (locally or remotely), etc.

2) In SQL Server Management Studio, expand Server Objects and Backup Devices - create a new Device Name using "File" destination. Specify file location - here is the section from SQL Server help:

"View the destination file of an existing backup device, or specify a destination file for a new backup device. For an existing device, the full path and file name of the device are displayed, and the Browse button is unavailable.

When creating a new device, you can override the path, file name, and extension either by navigating to a different file or by editing the information directly. To browse for a local file, click the Browse button to the right of the File text box and navigate to a file on one of the fixed drives of the computer running the server.

For a remote file, enter the full path and name (for example,
remote_server\mssql\backup\sales\monthly\September.bak)."

Click Ok.

3) You didn't mention your SAP version but in DB13, choose database backup, select your device and your other options, schedule or execute.

Good luck.

Regards,

Ken S.