cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just what is the solution

Former Member
0 Kudos

Apologies in advance for my lack of understanding in this area, I have read a fair amount but cleary not everything I need as I am still confused.

The landscape is something like this

8 ECC6 systems for mainly HR work

8 SRM 4 systems

8 PI systems (dual)

8 EP systems

8 CRM ECC systems

8 CRM EP systems

8 CRM systems

4 PI system (hopefully 6 soon)

2 Solman

2 CCMS

2 NWDI

The 8 systems consist of

Dev,QA, pre prod and prod as a maintenance track

Dev and QA systems for project

2 training systems

I want to set up my solution(s) to suit both Oerations and Project IMG.

I have read advice from people and they tend to fall into the following conflicting areas

1. You should not have more than 10 sysytems in a solution due to performance

2. You should have your solution across your components for project work

3. You should have each component in its own solution for operations

Can someone please advise me of the correct solution(s) for my solution manager.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190969
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

I have seen solutions with 100 systems in it. However, performance can be an issue with such big solutions. You should first of all put each tuple of 8 systems into one logical component. You will have 11 logical components at last. Now you must decide if you want to have monitoring and EWA for all systems or just for productive systems. If you need this only for productive systems, then create one solution with all logical components. Monitoring will be done only for production systems by default which is 11 systems. In this solution you can also setup Business Process Monitoring which you will do only in productive systems. This solution will have a very good performance and you will have all systems available still for your work in the process structure. If you need to monitor them all I would suggest to create additonally to the first solution which contains your proceses one solution for monitoring and EWA per product family and activate all systems with right clicking in the grid in the system landscape maintenance screen. For solman CCMS and NWDI I would define one solution.

Regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cheers Andreas.

Yes, we have SLA's against every system. OK, from an operational perspective we now have a production solution of 11 systems... I guess there are only a few TREX and non SAP systems to add to this if we do not talk about PI interface systems.

You recommend striping the rest of the landscape by component which is good for operations. However our project teams wish then to be like production, they need them across all system for project IMG work and also across each landscape. They want a 70 system solution and by the looks of things, projects require that?

former_member190969
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

first of all for project work you don't need any solution at all. However when you want to take over finished projects into a solution it should look like the first solution I described. It is not necessary to have all systems "green" in such an overall solutions. You will e.g. be able to access all systems in the logical components via RFC from the process structure, even if they are grey in the system landscape editor. Green just means they appear in the operation part. In the process part (SOLMAN_DIRECTORY) all systems of the logical components can be accessed.

Regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent Andreas,

I understand my error now.

Projects get assigned logical components, not solutions and having 11 logical components assigned from different solutons is not a problem and will not affect performance.

So now I only have 12 Solutions in my landscape and the following side effects

I have 12 sets of SLA reports

Process monitoring will only be able to be set up in production.

Can you please confirm this is the case and I will happily close this as solved. Also any other restrictions so I can be aware of them in advance would be helpful.

many many thanks for your expert guidance.

former_member190969
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes Graham,

this would be my suggestion. I would just put

2 Solman

2 CCMS

2 NWDI

into one solution landscape so you have only 9 solutions in total. You should give them a name that makes clear that 8 of them are for operations only and 1 is for consolitation of business processes (SOLMAN_DIRECTORY).

Regards

Andreas

Answers (0)