Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max DB compatible with Vista?

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok guys i'll be real detailed here,

i open up the setup, vista asks if i want to run the program (as usual),

the MaxDB Installation Manager loads up.

I click on "Start installation/upgrade",

Accept the license.

I select the "Client" Component Group and then click forward to install the client software.

Here comes the screw up...... a messege box pops up with the title "Error" and with the message "cannot find systemdirectory in windows registry".

Then i think.... ffs.... and click "OK".

Then another message box pops up with the title "Fatal error" and with the message:

"fatal error

Please click OK button to exit the application..."

So i click "OK"

Program then shuts down.

Sounds to me like MAX DB isnt compatible with Vista OS, but if somone knows otherwise, please let me know.

If it is the OS, then is there a patch out there?

thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

get the official statement from www.maxdb.org

note that using SAP server products is not supported on Vista. you must use Windows 2003.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks very much,

do you know when a version of MAX DB will be released for Vista?

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

unfortunately, I cannot answer that. you are asking this in a SAP forum, this probably means that you want to install a SAP product. if this is a server product, then Vista will NEVER be supported.

I provided you with a bad link earlier, the new MaxDB website is at https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/maxdb

Former Member
0 Kudos

surely there must be a plan to provide clients with a way to run SAP products with VISTA,

I understand that the current SAP products will not be compatible with VISTA, but do you think there will be a release anytime soon that will be compatible with VISTA?

Maybe in a new edition? otherwise, what happens to businesses which want to upgrade to VISTA?

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can run SAP cleint products such as SAPGUI on Vista. You must install SAPGUI 7.10 which is supported on Vista.

Vista is a PC solution like Windows XP.

for server products, you need Windows NT, 2000 or 2003 and soon 2008. For now, Windows 2003 is the only supported solution for SAP server products such as BW and R/3.

Former Member
0 Kudos

that really helped alot, thanks for your help

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had a similar problem installing the trial version of NetWeaver 7.0 which is quoted as being able to run with Vista

You can trick the installation into continuing by adding the entry to the registry

Start -> run -> regedit

in the registry, expand

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Windows

Right click on the values pane and choose

New -> Expanding String Value

Name the String as "SystemDirectory", set the Data to be "%SystemRoot%\system32"

Restart the installation and it should continue....

Answers (0)