cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding of SAP different versions and servers

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am lamer in SAP area and after reading all the material on internet i still can not understand the different versions and servers which are mentioned everywhere thus i decided to ask from experts here for a good understandable answer for a novice user like me .

i have many questions like the Difference between ECC ( versions) , SAP Web AS , EP and more , also on the SAP site i got that some WAS versions 6.20 , 6.30 , 6.40 .

please give some hirerichal structure of the SAP technology so that i can better understand that .

Thanks for your kind attention.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP has development MANY products (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SAP_products)

They started with R/2 - which was running on the host (mainframe) - then ported to *nix platforms and called "R/3"

SAP R/3 2.1

SAP R/3 2.2D

SAP R/3 2.2F

SAP R/3 3.0A/B

SAP R/3 3.0C

SAP R/3 3.0D

SAP R/3 3.1F

SAP R/3 3.1G

SAP R/3 3.1H

SAP R/3 3.1I

SAP R/3 4.0A/B

SAP R/3 4.5B

SAP R/3 4.6C

Starting from here the underlying technology was first called "Web Application Server (WAS). The reason for this is because with basis 6.20 the first time there were open standards implemented (Internet connection manager to connect to the system with SMTP, HTTP etc.) R/3 4.7 runs on WebAS 6.20. A WebAS is the "kernel" (the binaries on the harddisk) and the version of the SAP_BASIS ABAP component:

SAP R/3 4.71 (4.7 with enterprise extensions 1.1)

SAP R/3 4.72 (4.7 with enterprise extensions 2.0)

Proceeding from there to WebAS 6.40 (means kernel 6.40 + SAP_BASIS 640). It was also called Netweaver 04. As of this version, there exists a WebAS ABAP + WebAS Java.

SAP ERP 2004 (also called ECC 5.0)

SAP Enterprise Portal 6.0 (running on WebAS Java 6.40)

SAP CRM 4.0

SAP SRM 4.1

etc.

And finally Netweaver 7.0 (former called Netweaver 2004s):

SAP ERP 6.0 (former called ECC 6.0)

SAP Enterprise Portal 7.0 (running on WebAS Java 7.0)

SAP CRM 5.0 (CRM 2005)

SAP SRM 5.0 (SRM 2005)

Netweaver is to be understood as "technology platform", where applications run on top of it. Some applications are bundled and can´t be installed separately (such as ERP, CRM, SRM, SCM etc.) others can be installed either on a single system with just WebAS ABAP or can be added to an already installed instance (e. g. cProjects).

I hope this clears some things - or did it create more confusion?

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Marcus , for your useful reply now i have the picture very clear in my mind about the SAP products. please also tell me more about BW, XI and EP . I have just heard them but doesnt know anything about them.

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I´ve written about EP - and with the background I gave you, you can do some research yourself.

Markus