Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have one upgrade request with me where in the environment is as follows:

Source Release Target Release

SAP Version: 4.5B SAP Version:ECC6.0

Oracle:8.1.7 Oracle:10g

AIX:5.2 AIX:5.3

I need confirmation on the following points as soon as possible for Upgrade Project.

1. O/S upgrade from AIX 5.2 to AIX 5.3 will give an 30% performance improvement or not.If yes in which area performance will improve and need to provide statistics from customer.

2. One Step Upgrade

Recently SAP has realesed a note 819655 which states that it is an one step upgrade but as per SAP note 720886 it clearly says that SAP 4.5B cant support Oracle 10g.So need confirmation on the following points:

a. Pros and Cons for One Step Upgrade

b. SAP recommendation for this upgrade approach.

3. Whether is it possible to convert Data Dictionary Tablespace to Locally Managed Tablespace during Oracle Upgrade or How to convert it manually.

Also please let me know the difference between Solman 3.2 and Solman 4.0.

Please reply me as soon as possible as it is very urgent .

Thanks & Regards,

Bhushan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

i will try to answer your questions with my experiences....

>> 1. O/S upgrade from AIX 5.2 to AIX 5.3 will give an 30% performance improvement or not.If yes in which area performance will improve and need to provide statistics from customer.

Where did you get this information? I personally have not seen some performance improvements after upgrading to AIX 5.3. But if you want to use ECC 6.0 .. you have to upgrade.

>> Recently SAP has realesed a note 819655 which states that it is an one step upgrade but as per SAP note 720886 it clearly says that SAP 4.5B cant support Oracle 10g.So need confirmation on the following points:

>> a. Pros and Cons for One Step Upgrade

>> b. SAP recommendation for this upgrade approach.

I personally have done a combined upgrade from 4.6c to ERP 2005 with the unicode conversion and it worked fine.. but this is supported with a start release of 4.6c (sapnote #928729)

>> 3. Whether is it possible to convert Data Dictionary Tablespace to Locally Managed Tablespace during Oracle Upgrade or How to convert it manually.

If you do a upgrade to ERP2005 (and the needed unicode conversion).. you are unloading/loading your oracle database. In this scenario you don't have to convert the DMT to LMT, because of the new installed oracle 10g database is installed with LMTs as default. There are some procedures to do that manually.. but not necessary in your case

Btw. LMT conversion is not supported by SAP (sapnote #105047) ... but it would be possible in theory:

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14258/d_spadmn.htm#i997300

Regards

Stefan