cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Master Change - application (4.7 , VC7.0 S13)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Has anyone sucessfully created an application to create & update Material Master Records.

we would like to create a dashboard to search for material data & then change specific fields

via VC as a web enabled application.

the 1st step is to update existing data.

We have tried using BAPI_MATERIAL_SAVEDATA - but the system keeps trying to Save so

brings back a message Material already exists & not allow a change of an existing material.

BAPI_MATERIAL_EDIT just calls the standard SAP GUI.

Can this be done using existing BAPI's in VC or do we need to create our own BAPI's

for material change.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

I've never done, but I can give you hint, that you use transaction BAPI (BAPI explorer and search for a corresponding BAPI) you can also search for function modules in SE80, e.g. the description contains Material. Maybe you find any BAPI. If not you have to write your own ABAP RFC for doing this.;)

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately I have tried searching using BAPI transaction in R/3 but I cannot find any other change BAPI's that seem relevant. The BAPI info indicates that "Material changes" are possible using BAPI_MATERIAL_SAVEDATA but I cannot find a way to tell the BAPI that this is a "Change & not a Save".

So it looks like writing our own BAPI is going to be needed, unless anyone else out there has been able to get this to work for materials.

PS: We got a display & change application to work for Customers using BAPI_CUSTOMER_CHANGEFROMDATA, and were therefore hoping to do the same for Material Master Records

Cheers,

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

is there no example available for using the BAPI_MATERIAL_SAVEDATA for changing the material? Maybe the guys from the ABAP development can give you some hints. I'm sorry, but I have no 4.7 system here for testing the BAPI. I asked our system owner for getting an user for our IDES system.Maybe I can check the BAPI there.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the feedback - I have searched Blogs, Wiki & Forums but unfortunately most examples are around reporting, display & dashboards, very little on actually updating the SAP database and none for changing a Material Master record

So it seems to very much depend on how good each BAPI is constructed.

We have been pretty sucessful on Sales Orders & Customers but Materials are driving us crazy so I am hoping someone out there knows of a setting or flag to tell the BAPI this is a change not a new create.

Cheers,

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Latest Update FYI

I am now experimenting with the BAPI - BAPI_MATERIAL_SAVEREPLICA which I have got to work whist testing the data service directly in VC & can change a description & update R/3 so will try & get this working a bit better via a proper layout .

Cheers,

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

FYI - the latest BAPI - BAPI_MATERIAL_SAVEREPLICA is the one I finally go to work

for changing Material master records.

Combined with BAPI_MATERIAL_GET_DETAIL to find a list of materials in a Search.

Only downdise of BAPI_MATERIAL_GET_DETAIL is that the Search only allows code OR description.

No selections for material type or group which would have been useful.