cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delimited text not available in Import Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all

In the reference guide for the Import Manager it is stated that both delimited text files and fixed text files are possible to import through the import manager. I am however not presented with those options when selecting the import source. 1. What is required to enable that functionality?

2. Does Access have to be installed on the machine running the Import Manager?

I assume that MDIS can use the map for the delimited text file without any changes or special settings once it has been created. 3. Is that correct?

Best regards

/Alexander Isacson

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I feel I'm not expressing my self clear enough.

I want to import a flat file. An example of such a, semicolon delimited, file is could be:

ID;First Name;Last Name;Age

23;John;Doe;52

35;Maria;Dolores;23

53;Elton;John;45

The file contains no hierarchy and no complex mapping.

My understanding was that this file could be mapped directly in the Import Manager without having to tinker with it by loading it manually into Access or Excel.

The final file will be in excess of 250 000 rows. To get the correct structure I would like to create a map based on a subset of the file and then use the MDIS import the complete file.

Do I have to copy the first 10 000 rows into Excel and base the map on that? Can I use a map created for Excel on a Port that is set to import format Delimited Text?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

Create a ODBC connection to the flat file and then in the import manager, select ODBC as the source type. This should solve the problem.

Regards,

Vivek.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So there is no way to import a flat text file (fixed witdth with or delimited) without going through either ODBC, Excel or Access?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alexander,

It may not be available until you upgrade to a newer build. I see you are on 5.5.40... I know that in 5.5.42.48 (MDM 5.5 SP05 Patch2) there is an option for Delimited Text and Fixed Text. I suppose your options are to resort to another route until you upgrade, or just upgrade the system now if that is an alternative.

Regards,

Tim

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Alex,

when ever in the source file, you have a filed in the tab delimited text,

for ex: computers;desk top;model1

computers;laptop;model 12

while importing, in the import manager, in the source pane you have to select that filed and right click, from the context menu

1. you have to set the delimiter

2. You can split the field into hierarchy / multiple fields based upon requirement.

this functionality you can apply in IM and IS also.

you can refer this article, to know how to split into hierarchy & import when the source data is in delimited format.

follow the link:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/30aa1447-80a1-2a10-e483-a76087bc...

hope this may help you,

Regards,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

This functionality works in SAP MDM 5.5 SP05 , so which version you are using.

Use latest build 5.5.42.98 if using SP05.

or SP06 is also available on market place now.

Rewards if found helpful.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using Version 5.5 SP05 (5.5.40.83).

I would expect to find Delimited Text under the Type drop down field in the Connect to Source dialog but it is not there.

I have also tried to create a new Port with format Delimited Text and then select it in the Import Manager to create the map for it. But when I select it in the Connect to Source dialog and press Finish I get the following error:

Logon Error: Data definition invalid for port 'PortName'.

Please advise.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As delimited data will have to be split into fields for importing; hence the input data has to be stored in an updatable data source, MDM does not count excel as an updatable data source. It will have to be a database ,ex Ms Access or an ODBC.

Hope this helps.