0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have practiced the technical scenarios:

File to JDBC

File to File

IDOC to File

File to IDOC

File to Mail

etc. I know the technical prospective. But, would like to know the scenarios on business prospective.

Could somebody tell me with simple real-time example, why do I use the above scenarios? What are the purposes?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My small advise is first understand the business prospective and then try working on the scenarios for your better understanding.

Let me explain for one scenario.

Example : File to Mail

When you have the Source System as any Windows Application and the target System as an email server.

Steps involved:

1.File content is sent from the source system to the PI System.

2.If the data contains Comma Separated Values (CSV) or any text file then it is first converted into a simple XML message through sender File Adapter in PI System.

3.The receiver Mail adapter converts XI messages( XML) to e-mails and uses the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) or the Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) to transfer them to the e-mail server.

File to JDBC

Assumed Scenario:

Source System : Any Windows Application

Target System : SQL Server (Database)

File to File:-

We go for the scenario where the systems are Windows Application.

Target System : Any Windows Application

IDOC to File:-

Source System : SAP System

Target System : Any Windows Application

File to IDOC:-

Target System : SAP System

File to Mail:-

Target System : e-mail servers

Depending upon the requirement we choose the adapter.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

B.Dheepa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dheepa,

Again you are giving me the technical steps. but want to know in what situation are we using these scenarios with simple undestandable examples.

thanks for your time

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Please go through some of the Business Scenarios (Real time scenarios whee these technical things have used)

Real World Scenarios of SAP XI

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e17fdb90-0201-0010-2cb6-fe937f3b...

Exchange Infrastructure - Integrating Heterogeneous Systems with Ease

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/1ebea490-0201-0010-faad-a32dd753...

SAP Network Blog: Re-Usable frame work in XI

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2006/01/10/re-usable-frame-work-in-xi

SAP XI IN ACTION

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/06/22/sap-xi-in-action

SAP NetWeaver in the Real World, Part 1 - Overview

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f70cc090-0201-0010-06bd-ff8d3754...

SAP NetWeaver in the Real World, Part 3 - SAP Exchange Infrastructure

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/3172d290-0201-0010-2b80-c59c8292...

SAP NetWeaver Exchange Infrastructure Business to Business and Industry Standards Support (2004)

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90052f25-bc11-2a10-ad97-8f73c999...

Thanks

Swarup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

File to IDOC scenario:

If u have a finance related file which is coming form the legacy system and u need to update the financial data in the R3 system in order to maintain the sysnchronize data at both the system that time u go for FILE to IDOC recomendation this is just an example to understand what kind of business requirement the client have.

In the reverse case IDOC to FILE:

Suppost u ahve created the sales order ORDERS 05 in R3 and u need to send order details to client saying that these are ur orders and its specification so that time u go for IDOC to File scenarios now the requirement can change in this at the target u either send it in the form of File or u send it to JMS system in the form of XML file or u sned the data in the form of Email.

Similarly once the order received by the customer the customer sends an ack back to the SAP system.

U ahve a business requirement where u need to take the data from R3 tables and sent it to JMS or JDBC that time u go for PROXY outbound to JMS or JDBC scenarios.

Suppose u need to get the Material detail from R3 and u r receiving the file which hold material no then in this case u go for

File-> RFC request which send the material no to R3 and RFC response -> File which holds the material details.

Like wise ur buisness requirement changes and u have to change ur design and use the right adapters.

Thnx

Chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chirag,

Thanks for your time.

I could understand the case IDOC to FILE scenario: this was nice and understandable.

For

File to IDOC scenario:

Why would financial data come from legacy system? Could you give me some examples?

Also for JDBC,

They say that the accessing the data at DB level is dangerous and is not recommended, and then in which case are we using the JDBC adapter?

And could you provide some more real time examples on the scenarios that I have mentioned above.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

IN my previous project we are getting the data from legacy sytems as I siad in order to synchronise the financial data with legacy and SAP we need to have a XI in between which helps in maintaing the synchronisation.

Also for JDBC,

They say that the accessing the data at DB level is dangerous and is not recommended, and then in which case are we using the JDBC adapter?

It varied based on requirements. IF in ur client business landsacape u need to have to fetch data from JDBC database then u have to use JDBC adapter.

THnx

Chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Chirag have already explained this in his post. just extending to it.

File to IDOC scenario:

Why would financial data come from legacy system? Could you give me some examples?

The file adapter is used to deal with FTP server and for verious types of files(.dat, .csv, .txt etc). Generally legacy systems as well Mainframe systems deal with verious files on FTP servers.

For e.g

Mostly User login entry information as well as the password synchornization and statistical reports of individual users are maintained with Mainframe systems in the orgnization.

If we need to transfer this data to some other SAP or Non SAP applications in secure way then, Mainframe systems generate the flat file son ftp server with the required details.

XI can be used to transfer those data in secure way. Here the connectivity between mainframe system and XI is prefered with file adapters.

Along with file, XI can communicate with Mainframe systems with JMS adapters also but that would be complicated development as you need to make changes on mainframe systems to deal with verious queues.

Also for JDBC,

They say that the accessing the data at DB level is dangerous and is not recommended, and then

in which case are we using the JDBC adapter?

In the world of Object Oriented Programming its always preferrable to avoid direct hit to database, so noramlly dealing with some of the confidential data of database we need to approach through Mainframe systems,

XI provides you the similar secure way to hit the database and maintain the encapsulation of database.

Even currently also you will be accessing the database through some medium only, that medium will be XI here. No one could deal with database through XI in unauthorized way and without any permission.

Thnaks

Swarup

Edited by: Swarup Sawant on Feb 2, 2008 8:26 AM