cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NetWeaver component naming (and numbering)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have noticed this week (10-Oct-2005) that a number of the NetWeaver components have been renamed. For example, Enterprise Portal now seems to be called NetWeaver Portal, etc.

What is the next 'evolution' of SAP NetWeaver component naming (and version numbering)?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

mmcnally
Explorer
0 Kudos

Despite all the explanations, I am still confused: why is it that Netweaver 2004s comes with a different (and new ) workbench, new BEx Designer, and even a new and enhanced Query, but BW 3.5 (which I am told is the BI component to Netweaver)has none of this new stuff.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Well, because, as we said already, some components are updated in NetWeaver 04s and some are not. As you might have seen we sometimes even deliver new features with service packs, though, there should be no wonder that minor releases in fact do have changes.

Regards,

Benny

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Raymond,

Indeed we are on the way to a slight name change. SAP WebAS for example will be named "SAP NetWeaver Application Server" in the future. This takes place with SAP NetWeaver 2004s, which actually is a minor release that is built for mySAP ERP 2005, which in turn goes into rampup this month.

All parts of SAP NetWeaver from that time on will carry a version number 7.

So don't panic when you see 7 appear, as this is just consolidation of version numbers to be syncronous with NetWeaver releases in the future. This is just an internal numbering for alignment of developments.

Regards,

Benny

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just to add to my colleagues response. The SAP NetWeaver components are actually going away (they still exist for historic reasons). The new approach will start with SAP NetWeaver 2004s.

Because of the growth of SAP NetWeaver technology and the reuse of features from one component in another and in new capabilities there is little sense in retaining the components naming.

Is BI still BI if new functionality means you always access it through a portal for admin and query execution?

So as the portal needs J2EE, BI will requires ABAP, J2EE, Portals, kmc, and BI from SAP NetWeaver. Is this the same old BI? We don't think so.

This simply stops making sense to have pigeon holing component names on an ongoing basis especially when you start really blurring the lines between 'components'. They do not work!

So SAP is now delivering SAP NetWeaver features and functions as IT Practices and IT Scenarios. These replace the component based rollout of SAP NetWeaver. For more information see the SAP service marketplace (http://service.sap.com/netweaver)

You will still see the SAP NetWeaver 'fridge' slide as this is showing capabilities of SAP NetWeaver (example: BPM and Integration broker). Their will be more and more capabilities added as we add more meaningful groupings of technologies (example of recent ones: SAP NetWeaver MDM and Visual Composer).

So, in short the component names are going away and being replaced by IT Practices/IT Scenarios.

I hope this helps,

Mike.

P.S. Release numbers also history for SAP as we don't have components - so you will only see SAP NetWeaver release names like 2004s.

jpolus
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raymond,

I believe SAP is going to using NetWeaver only in front of any component that is part of the NetWeaver stack. So NW Portal, NW BI, NW XI, etc.

As far as numbering goes they are trying to simplify that too. So for NetWeaver you only have to worry about Support Pack Stack (SPS or just SP). So currently NetWeaver is at SPS 14. You no longer have to worry about individual component versions like EP 6.0 or BI 3.5, or patch numbers and hotfix numbers.

So when you see NetWeaver SPS 14 you know all the components are at that same level. When SPS 15 is released you will be able to upgrade all the NW components you have to SPS 15.

Hope this makes sense.

John