cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undefined Elements - Structural Exceptions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I created an import map for the material repository. For the setup of the map I compiled what we call "Master Source File" or "Dummy File" (XML) which contains all values from the lookup tables. It helps us to produce a map which has a complete value mapping. This file complies to the XML schema (MATMAS05 related schema, slightly extended) we defined for the interface.

We received sample data that complies to the XML schema as well. With the Import Manager it can be imported as expected.

When setting up the inbound port and putting the files into it the following structural exceptions pops up:

Some portions of this import map are out of date.

Solution: Please, Launch the Import Manager GUI, preferably using the original source file that the map was generated for, otherwise the same source file and Save Update [File->Save Update] the map.

Parent hierarchy: <E1MARAM.E1MARCM>.

Undefined element: <GEWGR>.

Defined elements:

0 E1MARAM ATTR_SEGMENT

1 E1MARAM MATNR

2 E1MARAM MATKL

The field GEWGR is not used in the mapping.

1) Anyway I tried to fix this and opened the file that gave the error with the MDM Import Manager, and it says "ready to import", then I launch the import, no errors. I follow the advice from the log file and use "save update". First it seems that this has solved the problem, then other fields are producing the same exception, in the end the "save update"-workaround doesn't seem to work well.

2) The second thing I tried and that fixed the problem was to add the elements the import server complains about into the dummy file we used to produce the map, open it again with Import Manager and save (not "save update") the map. This solved the problem.

I think it's quite strange that the MDM Import Server throws structural exceptions for fields that aren't used in the mapping.

Does anybody have background information on this issue?

MDM Import Manager, Server and Import Server Versions:

Thanks & Kind Regards,

Ingo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We did face this issue during our cut-over data load.

We had elaborate interaction with SAP product management team also on this issue.

Basically the import server and import manager behave differently while loading a file.

Import Server works as a streaming server. So if it encounters any tag in the xml file that is not defined in the map, it throws structural exception !

Import Manager however is slightly intelligent and is able to handle such scenario.

How to solve this problem ?

Please create one VERSATILE file that contains all possible tags that can ever come in your input file.

Open that once in import manager and do a save update.

This will ensure that IMPORT SERVER will not encounter an unknown tag.

Also, for future please keep this VERSATILE file as a reference because if you need to enhance the map, you will need to again refer to this VERSATILE file else structural errors will crop up again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Harish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your mail.

This is what we are doing at the moment. I don't really trust the "save update" function, so whenever I get into exceptions I open the import map with the updated VERSATILE file and save, not "save update". I'm not really sure when to trust it, because when value mapping had some unexpected surprises with it.

Best Regards,

Ingo

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

I had Faced a slightly similar problem in automatic importing where an structural exception was thrown.

This happened because the import file had a field with name ZCUSTOMER and my import map had a field with name CUSTOMER in the source file this happened as when we had taken data from R/3 first time they gave the field with name CUSTOMER and the map was saved in MDM with this name but due to some reason the file was corrupt and so they resend the XML file and this time the name was ZCUSTOMER so the map was not excepting it and a structural exception was thrown.

Some portions of this import map are out of date.

Solution: Please, Launch the Import Manager GUI, preferably using the original source file that the map was generated for, otherwise the same source file and Save Update

This error msg that appeared could be because of this reason

Hope it helps

Regards

Simona

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simona,

Thanks for your help!

I think the difference in your case is that the CUSTOMER field is mapped in your import map and the field comes with a different name (ZCUSTOMER) so the field mapping cannot work and the Import Server throws an exception. In my version of MDM (5.5.42.92) the lack of mapped fields in the source file doesn't lead into exceptions anymore.

The exception in my case occurs for "overlapping" fields in the source file that are not used in the mapping. This fact leads to the circumstance that you have to create the import map with an XML file that contains the full range of fields described in the schema, otherwise you can't exclude the occurence of structural exceptions.

To make life easier I think it would be great if overlapping fields are ignored by the Import Server.

Best Regards,

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Some import server bugs have been fixed in build 5.5.42.65,

then in build 5.5.42.74 and 84. Also use latest build 5.5.42.98

may be help you.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did somebody else experience this issue?

Is it solved in 5.5.42.98, or in SP06 Patch 1?

Best Regards,

Ingo