cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't start local J2EE Engine

Former Member
0 Kudos

In our company we have a large group of developers who all have Netweaver Developer Studio installed on their machines to do java development. They also have the local engine installed to deploy and test their code.

We're on version 7.0 (aka 2004s) SP9.

One of our developers has been working fine, then went to a week of training, has come back and now his engine no longer starts up locally - same computer that worked before.

Server1 turns green, but Server0 stays yellow. The error we see in the std_server0.out is as follows:

Failed to reserve 1610612736 (0x60000000) bytes before loading DLLs (error 8).

We have tried all of the following with no success:

- Restarting his computer

- Lowering the Max heap size using the ConfigTool (it was originally at 768, which has always worked in the past, but we took it to 512 just to see)

- Using the SAP Address Space Viewer, we tried the Rebase DLLs

Any other suggestions of things to try?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you install any security patches for Windows (or IE 7) since it worked?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good question.

We know that something was installed - our company pushes out updates to our machine periodically. He said he noticed that something installed during the week he wasn't using NDS, but he wasn't sure what it was.

I originally dismissed the idea that could be the reason something was failing, because when they push out updates, they do it to everyone, so theoretically, it shouldn't affect JUST him, but at least one of our other developers.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the reason I ask if, that if you rebased your DLLs before, those updates may have updated (and so reverted) the changes you've made. The same can be true for any other software, that installed shared components and overwriting the "original" ones.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, we did the rebasing just yesterday, after it stopped working.

He had two running jlaunch.exes and we did it on both of those, was there any other process we should have done it with?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If those are your local installation for development one server process can be enough (as already proposed).

Memory configuration for WebAS 7.00 on 32bit systems can be very cumbersome...

Did you try the suggestion from Note 853696 - Preloading DLLs to Avoid Address Space Fragmentation

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jenifer,

Markus Dohr set you on the right track. This issue is caused by memory fragmentation in result of the installation of hot fix from Microsoft. Unfavorable basis addresses of Windows system DLLs or DB Client DLLs fragment the address space of the JLaunch process. The Java VM fails to initialize because it cannot allocate enough contiguous address space for the configured amount of Java heap.

Before trying the solution try to prelod the DLLs as Markus suggested (Note 853696)

Solution

1. Use the ConfigTool to reduce the maximum heap size of the J2EE Engine node to allow the J2EE Engine to start.

2. Follow the procedure in SAP Note 129813 to analyze the JLaunch.exe process, to identify the offending DLL and to rebase it. From 640 SP14 on the DLL preload function can be used instead of rebasing, please read note 853696.

3. If the DLL cannot be rebased (due to Windows File Protection), please refer to note 664269 – Rebasing DLLs under WFP or create an OSS/CSN message for the BC-OP-NT component.

Please also see note 664607 - Hot Fixes or patch sets with fragmenting DLLs.

NB: Do not delete server node 0!!! You could disable it, so it doesn’t start, but do not delete it. If you want to run with only one node, delete server node 1.

Regards,

Ventsi Tsachev

Technology Development Support (J2EE Engine)

SAP Labs, Palo Alto, Ca (USA)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I really appreciate all the responses here, but either I'm not understanding the SAP Notes or nothing is working.

First of all, Note 853696 - I had looked at this one before, but it sounded like I'd need to 1) know what the problem DLL was (which I didn't know) and 2) set some sort of variable somewhere... I realize i need to set that PreloadDLLs variable - but where do I do that, if I did know the offending DLL?

As stated above, we already tried lowering the heap size using the Config Tool, and that didn't work, no matter how low we make it, server0 still won't start.

Following Note 129813, we went into the the SAP Address Space Viewer - we did step e) where we did the list of DLLs, then we selected one of our jlaunch.exe processes and pressed the 'Clean Address Space' - there were two DLLs listed and they each had gray icons next to them - are these the DLLs that we should preload? To compare with my (working) engine - I have 16 DLLs, most of which have a red icon. Because we still weren't sure what we were supposed to do at this point, we just hit the "Rebase" button here, but that didn't seem to fix anything.

I'm sure it's obvious, but this is all quite new territory to me and I'm not sure what it all means, I appreciate your help and patience!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for all your help on this, we ended up just reinstalling on his machine and now it's working. A little extreme, perhaps, but we couldn't seem to get it working otherwise.

Former Member
0 Kudos

use server 1 only and delete server 0

the java stack can work quite happly with one server without any issues.

this is done via the j2ee tools

James

Edited by: James Ibbotson on Jan 30, 2008 4:18 PM