cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPDB 7.4.3 - Creating a database instance from a backup file

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

i got a SAPDB 7.4.3 backup file (one single file) from a customer.

for software development i need access to this database, so i installed a SAPDB 7.4.3 server on my computer. i can create new database instances, all no problem. but i can find no way to create a new instance from the backup file like it's possible in mssql server for example. how can i do this?

if it's not possible to create a database out of this single backup file, what do i need to create the database? the whole database folder from the \indep_data\wrk\ folder?

and yes, i tried to understand the documentation, but i didn't get it

all the best

michael

p.s.: i'm a completely newbie to SAPDB ...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you can do this if you have a complete databackup with the commandline, using dbmcli DB_ACTIVATE RECOVER <medium_name>.

After recovery you probably need to restart the database.

Hope this helps,

Herman

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello herman,

hm... sorry, but that's not working command line says "unknown command "DB_ACTIVATE".

but at all: what is the <medium_name>? the file name of the backup file? and where shall i execute this command? where to but the backup file? into "indep_data\wrk\"? SAPDB is really confusing ..

michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a look at the documentation, that explains it in more detail :

[http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_7/1a/32c42a0fcf40b5b95ff7040a60aa41/frameset.htm|http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_7/1a/32c42a0fcf40b5b95ff7040a60aa41/frameset.htm]

Hope this helps,

Herman

Former Member
0 Kudos

i had a look at this already, but it sounds like this doc is only for restoring data of an EXISTING database instance. but i dont't have a database instance already. i only have this 1.5 Gb backup file and i don't know how to access it in any way. everything in the doc's is described for existing instances and not for creating an new instance out of a single backup file. or am i wrong?

michael

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

shouldn't be too hard.

The version you (i.e. the customer) are using is very old, it's even no longer supported (out of maintenance since middle of 2006)!

The easiest way to create a database instance and recover the backup would be to use the Database Manager GUI. You need to create a database and during the Wizard guided setup, you should be able to select an option called 'Create instance for recovery'. Select that option and continue. The database will then only be started into COLD mode (not WARM). Then create a backup medium pointing to your backup and recover that backup into your created DB.

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

thx, the problem is solved!

michael

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

then you need to create an instance before you recover the backup. Something like dbmcli -s db_create DBNAME DBM,password should do it (I think)

Or you could use the GUI tool.

Herman