cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File adapter: FTP High volume throughput: Permanent or per file transfer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I have created a file->XI->RFC call scenario. This is a very hig volume throughput scenario, i.e. a lot of files need to be processed, almost at real time. Sometimes this -probably- causes the File adapter for this scenario to "hang" at times and stop picking up files.

At this moment I have put the Poll interval at 1 second, and the connection mode on "Permanently".

As it sometimes hangs I was wondering if the setting "Per file transfer" would be a better option for the connection mode in this scenario?

Who has a useful answer to this problem/question that I am describing here?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Will reward points if helpful.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi A. Schotanus,

I would use Poll interval at 1 second, and the connection mode on "Permanently" in order to minimize the number of connections on the ftp server.

Regarding the hang issue. I have also experience that issue when using XI 3.0 SP14 and SP19. Please check if the TIME OUT parameter has been configured. In my case that solved the problem.

Regards,

Encinas.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Using the 'per file transfer' will be better option compare to Poll interval at 1 second, and the connection mode on "Permanently".

Here for per file transfer get a chance to refresh the file adapter as it will activated and deactivated after each file transfer.

If you use permanently option then the port will be open contineously and that may lead to performance problem.

If this folder to which you are connecting is within your XI server network then you can mount(or map) that drive to the XI server and use it with a NFS protocol of the file adapter and thereby increasing the performance.

thanks

Swarup

Edited by: Swarup Sawant on Jan 29, 2008 10:19 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swarup,

Little confusion in your explanation.

Connection Mode has two options:

1. Permanant : An existing connection to the FTP server is used permanently & connection is reestablished automatically if it is closed by the server

2. Per File Transfer: A new connection to the FTP server is established for each file transfer

This is completely different from poll Interval.

So what he can rather do is: he can leave the poll interval as it is and then change the connection mode for better performance. So when during poll interval, server connection shall be established and then file transfer can take place.

Please correct me, if am wrong.

Also, if the following details are available, a better solution can be provided.

1. File location

If XI, then use NFS as swarp suggested.

2. Is it one-one mapping

He may use tunnelling technique

Thanks

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Could you share the processing in XI that takes place before the RFC xml gets constructed ? Is it one to one mapping or any complex mapping happening there ?

Regards/Priyanka

Former Member
0 Kudos

A standard XSLT mapping is taking place. Some values are copied, others are calculated to the values of the target message.

And file location is not on XI.

Should I leave the poll on 1 second and change to "Per file transfer" connection mode?

Kind regards

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Plz change and test again.

Gud luck

Kiran