cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SAP R/3 and Oracle on VmWare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

has anybody experience with an installation of SAP, including Oracle database, on a virtual machine.

In my case there were a couple of warnings during the installation of the database instance. However, finally it could be finished.

The next emerging problem was that the Oracle database couldn't be started.

The process in the SAP Management Console which doesn't run is called: strdbs.cmd

A manual execution leads to the following result:

D:\usr\sap\GI5\SYS\exe\run>strdbs.cmd

D:\usr\sap\GI5\SYS\exe\run>echo WHENEVER SQLERROR exit SQL.SQLCODE 1>v9start.sql

D:\usr\sap\GI5\SYS\exe\run>echo connect / as sysdba 1>>v9start.sql

D:\usr\sap\GI5\SYS\exe\run>echo startup 1>>v9start.sql

D:\usr\sap\GI5\SYS\exe\run>echo exit 1>>v9start.sql

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.7.0 - Production on Mo Jan 28 13:06:54 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:

ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Is this problem maybe caused by the virtual machine, because the Oracle database is working properly.

Thanks for every comment and suggestion.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

this is the output of strdbs.cmd

1. check whether the OracleServiceG15 Windows Service is started.

2. check whether the Oracle*TNSListener Windows Service is started

3. when manually executing strdbs.cmd you need to run it with the right user environment.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to use the G15adm user.

regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thank you for your recommendations. Unfortunately I couldn't manage it using the SAP-Installation on the virtual machine even though I tried everything you suggested.

At the same time I repeated the installation on a physical machine which suceeded without any problems.

Now I'm going to virtualize it. So, in the end I will have the SAP-System hopefully on a virtual machine.

Best regards

Bernd

Former Member
0 Kudos

if your VM was configured with sufficient resources (memory, disk space, cpu's) and the operating system running on the VM has sufficient sized pagefiles there should be no difference in installation between a VM and phyiscal machine (from the functional point of view).

I am running several VMs on VMwares ESX server as well as on the free VMware Server 1.0.4 (x64 operating system as server and client, but both not supported).

as long as you are not working with memory overcommitment I had no vm-specific problems.

regards

peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thanks for your hint.

After the first failed installation, I did prove the issues such as sufficient RAM, disk space etc. one more time and it didn't help. I heard from somebody else that he had problems with using an Oracle database on a VM, probably because the different indexing of the file-system on the hard disk in comparison to a physical machine.

That's why I thought, I might have a similar problem. But nevertheless, the problem analyses was too time-consuming. As I consequence I virtualized the installation from the physical machine where the installation worked out quite well.

Best regards

Bernd

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all...

even i have the similar problem long back,..... i did not remember the exact solution...but it was very simple..

my i am wrong , but try this.

1. Restart the system and change the user to <SID>ADM or <ORA> ADM and try this. it may work ....

2. don't know much about DB but... use the command to connect to DB

> connect / as sysdba ... so try with >connect / as oradba.....

i am sorry if i am wrong....

bye

- pradeep B

Former Member
0 Kudos

this is windows - there is no ora<SID> user!

peter

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

is your network properly configured (loopback adapter or real IP addresse)?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bernd,

You should check your windows services to see if the Listener service is started. This is most likely the cause of this problem.

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thank you for your suggestion. I checked the Services, the Listener is running. I manually stopped and started it again. The problem couldn't be solved.

I guessed there were some installation problems with the oracle database on the virtual machine. But I'm not sure about it and whether it is a general problem with SAP and Oracle respectively running on a virtual machine.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you probably forgot to start Oracle TNS listener.. or it is misconfigured.