cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum length of TextEdit input field

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

short question: how to set the maxium length of possible text to be entered into a TextEdit field? I have such a field on one of my views, 30 cols and 3 rows set, 200px width. The referenced context attribute is a 255 char field. But when I enter text with more then 128 characters, then I get the standard error message "Text too long" (translated from German).

I have not found an option to set the maximum length for the input field.

Where can I set it?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, Matthias

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias F. Brandstetter ,

maximum length of the input field or a value of the UI depends on the size of the attribute which its binded. Based on the size of the attribute (eg char4) you have to adjust the size of the UI at layout level.

Regards

Sarath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

use the cols and width properties, see the [documentation|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/06/45ee412e5e6324e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm]

Regards, Heidi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Heidi,

as said in my first post, I already have the "cols" property set to "30" and the "rows" property set to "3". But as I understand from SAP help, these values are only used for the size of the input field, not the maximum length of the text to enter, aren't they?

Kind regards, Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi matthias.........

try binding the input field to an attribute of char 20 or 30 according to your need.

---regards,

alex b justin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all, as already stated in my first post, the input field is bound to a 255 characters field...

Kind regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi matthias..........

try giving string instead of char.

---regards,

alex b justin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

I would prefer a 255 character based attribute (and therefore maximum text length of intput field), as the underlying table field is a 255 character field as well.

Kind regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi matthias....

i have worked giving strings.... it was not an issue.....

you can afterwards check it manually for the field length....

---regards,

alex b justin

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok thx, I will check it out and tell you afterwards...

Kind regards