Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clustering questions

werner_dornacher
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a WAS 6.40 Java Cluster. I know how to add a node with the config tool, but I need to restart the whole server in order start the new node and see it in the MMC panel. Is there a way to start a new node without restarting everything?

I've read in the administration pdf that there are primary and secondary nodes, and that a cluster must at least contain one primary node. But when I look at the property file of the cluster manager, there is no server with the "DependentElement" set to false but the cluster works. So is that part of the administration documentation deprecated?

Another thing is the Communication between cluster nodes. Do they communicate directly or through the message server?

I also wanted to run the WAS on multiple hosts. So I need to reinstall the whole server on the other host? If I do that I will have a new database on that host too. Isn't possible to avoid the reinstallation of the Database? Or do I need a database on each host?

When I dont touch the server for a long time, the P4 port (50004) gets closed, and there is no way to connect to the system with the visual administrator. How can I "wake up" this port without restarting the WAS ?

Last thing, the icon representing a dispatcher is a red light. That's a bit confusing, does it mean that my dispatcher has a problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Werner,

Where did you get this documentation from? It seems to be outdated (I guess it is the documentation for J2EE Engine 6.20). For WAS 6.40 (part of SAP NetWeaver 04) the entire documentation is available in SAP Library at help.sap.com and does not go with the installation as PDF files.

You can find the documentation about the J2EE Engine at the following link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/13/a3bb3eff62847ae10000000a114084/frameset.htm

There you will find Architecture Manual and Administration Manual, which explain the clustering concepts and give you information about the configuration.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, Zornitsa

werner_dornacher
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help but I think the link you gave me points to the help files for the WAS 6.30. So I still don't have an up to date documentation and still don't hava answers to my questions. But from what I read this far in the 6.30 doc, there arent primary and secondary nodes anymore in WAS 6.40, thats one question less .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Werner,

It is a link to the last officially released documentation for the SAP Web AS, and it is the documentation for SAP NetWeaver'04, which corresponds to WAS 6.40. So, this is the most up-to-date documentation that is currently available on help.sap.com.

Regarding your second question about running the cluster on multiple hosts, you can find the information under Administration Manual -> Server Administration -> J2EE Engine Configuration -> Setting Up the Java Cluster. To do this, you need to install a new dialog instance. For more information on this, you can check the installation guides for SAP NetWeaver'04 on SAP Service Marketplace at http://service.sap.com/instguides.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you any hints about the problem with the P4 port that you experience. Maybe someone else could help?

Best regards,

Zornitsa

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Werner,

one possible reason for the problem with the P4 port could be that your license has expired. Have you been using your server for quite some time?

If this is the case, after being operational for like 20-30 min., the server is then automatically stopped (that's why you cannot connect the visual admin to it).

to find out if your license has expired, restart the server (using MMC), connect the visual admin to it and open the Licensing Adapter service. Open the Runtime tab and then the Installed Licenses tab. See the expiration date.

Best regards,

Ivo

werner_dornacher
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ivo,

thanks for the suggestion, but I installed the WAS 2 weeks ago, so my licence is still valid.

Best regards

werner_dornacher
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Zornitsa,

I'll check this, thanks.

Best regards,

Werner