cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to monitor a developer's activity

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there a way to monitor a developers's activity in SAP WEB AS 6.40 system. The view/change/delete function that he might have done on various Field, programs, data dictionary objects etc..

As a Admin this will be very helpful.

Thanks

Arunava

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you should refer to Netweaver Development Infrastructure. I think DTR is a good solution to your requirement.

Thanks and Best regards

Deyang

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaun,

If I knew the name of the program that I also know how to check the versioninf etc, I have good experience in ABAP work bench. However my prolem is a little different. I want to know from a admin perspective what exactly the developer has done for the past few days or a date range.. like what prog he touched, which one he changed/deleted/created during that time, And it's not only program but also config changes as well including data dictionary object, func grp, module etc. In essence I would like to monitor the developer's activity. Currently you some info, like the last log on time ect from usr02 table. I would like more info as I said above.

Arunava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arunava,

Unfortunately there is no easy answer.

You can use the security audit log (SM20) to determine the reports/transactions the user has run over a period of time. This will help you determine what programs they are currently editing (not many programmers would change a program without running it afterwards to test). It will also help you identify what config transactions are being run also.

You could also turn on table logging (rec/client parameter). This will record every table insert/delete/update, however this is EXTREMELY heavy on a busy system. Its only recommended for non-production systems.

Hope this helps

Shaun

Former Member
0 Kudos

As part of a larger solution you might want to monitor his transports. Any configuration change will generate a transport. Any change to a program, function module or data structure will generate a transport.

Unless there's already one open. So if he worked on program "A" six months ago and never released the transport, this method wouldn't show any additional changes he made to it.

So it would really be part of a larger solution I wouldn't rely only on transports.

We use a homegrown program to produce reports based on the MONI table. That would tell you which transaction codes he's running or which programs are executing, but it wouldn't tell you which programs are being modified, for instance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arunava,

The DTR is the Design Time Repository (part of the JDI instance) for the JAVA Web AS environment. Its equivellent to the ABAP repostiory, as in it retains the version management of the JAVA objects within the DTR.

Is your developer writing JAVA code or ABAP code. If ABAP code use the version management tools within SE80 to review the history on the programs he/she has been working on.

Regards

Shaun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deyang.

Can you please elaborate on this a little more, I have no idea what a DTR is .. Please ealorate ...

Thanks

Arunava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arunava,

I think DTR is something like CVS tool

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/95/3dbe3be3e9d949961a6a4469b59a83/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/d5/294f39dc0997409f16f0ffdd8ec852/frameset.htm

For detail information, you can search "DTR" as keyword on the help.sap.com.

There is also a JDI Forum under the Web Application Server.

Hope it's helpful

Best regards

Deyang