Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service material

former_member763498
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am working on an implementation in a service scenario. In a service scenario normally service material ( DIEN- mat type) is used. But we found some problem in using service material. So we decided to use FERT material type for all our services. That means in SAP all the services performed will be recognized as tangible material.

My question is will there be any problem if I use FERT material type for service scenario e.g consulting.

Regards

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

please use only material type DIEN only.Otherwise you are

telling the system the service material as a tangible one(as rightly said bye you).Eventhough service reports can be support documents for the service i think we should not treat them as quantifiable.I hope this gives you an idea.please do revert back if you need any further clarifications.

Thanking you,

best regards,

R.Srinivasan

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello, friend.

well, one of the effects of using FERT is that you will have valuated inventory. you will also have availability check to contend with. also, your orders need to be delivered and posted for goods issue before you can invoice.

although logically you can do this, you will many problems from the point-of-view of accounting (not logic wise but more with conforming to your locale's tax laws and accounting principles).

maybe it would also be helpful to detail what problems you were having with your previous project when you were using service items. somebody could come up with a better solution.

regards.

former_member763498
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have rightly identified, that my inventory will be valuated and availability check will be in action.

The fact is we need valuated inventory as we need to capture cost after each service ( which is nothing but good issue in SD).

We do not want to use service materials because:-

1) I can't capture cost for each services performed( in SD). I cant confirm my service line items in sales order hence I cant capture the cost. My cost center has to be updated which is not possible in service material as there is no PGI into picture. In service material sceanrio it would be order related billing.

2) We want to handle this scenario solely through sales order ( no service order).

Plz update.

Ashish

former_member204513
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

I don't know what problem will exist but as per my knowledge the fields of the Material master will be defend upon the material type and valuation of the material also will be defend upon the Material type so please consider those things and proceed.

I hope it will hel you

Regards,

Murali.