cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy using R3load ( Export / Import )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are testing System copy using R3load ( Export / Import ) using our production data.

Environment : 46C / Oracle.

while executing export, it takes more than 20 hours, for the data to get exported, we want to reduce the export time drastically. hence, we want to achieve it by scrutinizing the input parameters.

during export, there is a parameter by name splitting the *.STR and *.EXT files for R3load.

the default input for the above parameter is No, do not split STR and EXT files.

My question 1 : If we input yes instead of No and split the *.STR and *.EXT files, will the export time get reduced ?

My Question 2: If the answer is yes to Question 1, will the time reduced will be significant enough ? or how much percentage of time we can expect it to reduce, compare to a No Input.

Best Regards

L Raghunahth

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghunahth,

Splitting files surely will reduce your export time, but the amount of time will depend of your number of CPU.

Please, read carefully Sap Note 200444. It will show you the required parameters for this export feature, and some recommendations about distribution of tables.

Best Regards,

JC Llanes.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Export time is not the only issue / concern:

1. export takes time

2. import takes time

3. if the system is online, you could have problems with number ranges in the target system (after import is complete and system restarted).

Better alternative would be to use offline / online backup and redirected restore.

thanks

BMG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are compelled to use R3load as we are doing a OS Migration.

(but within unix ). Hence there is no rethink of alternative method.

With the inputs of Juan and Michael, hope I continue to test further so that the time is reduced during export.

Thanks to everyone for spending their valuable time.

Best Regards

L Raghunahth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The time of the export depends on the size of your database (and the size of your biggest tables) and your hardware capacity.

My question 1 : If we input yes instead of No and split the *.STR and *.EXT files, will the export time get reduced ?

In case you have a few very large tables, and you have multiple cpu's and a decent disk storage, then splitting might significantly reduce the export time.

My Question 2: If the answer is yes to Question 1, will the time reduced will be significant enough ? or how much percentage of time we can expect it to reduce, compare to a No Input.

As you did not tell us about your database size and hardware details there is no way to give you anything but very basic metrics. Did you specify a parallel degree at all, was your hardware idling for 20 hrs or fully loaded already?

20 hrs for a 100gb database is very slow. It is reasonable (rather fast in my opinion) for a 2tb database.

Best regards, Michael