cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP API's - URGENT- Tracking of changes in MDM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I want to track all the changes made in MDM In ECC. I know that i can do it using ABAP API's tracking feature.

I have already established the connection between ECC and MDM.

I would want to know all the exact steps to enable tracking and monitoring through ABAP API's.

Helpful answers will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin jain

Edited by: Nitin Jain on Jan 29, 2008 4:45 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nitin,

To the best of my knowledge , there are no APIs ( java/ABAP) to get the details of changes done to MDM data. The APIs and Console only allow you to specify what tables you need Change Tracking turned on and on what functions. I consider them more like Configuration.

I have a very similar need. Users want to know who changed what and when. The approach I am thinking / testing now is as follows :

1. Request the Data Base Team to write a script to dump data from A2i_CM_History table on a regular basis ( Ex : daily , specifying where clause to limit the data extracted )

2. Once the data is available in a suitable file format ( fixed width, comma delimited.. ) , use the best way to store and display them.

2.1. One idea is to send the file to BW and create a BW cube to store and report

2.2. One idea is to create a Custome table in some ABAP Stack and store and report from there

I have still not finalized the best approach. Initial recommendation reading through some manuals indicated that BW is the best reporting tool for this data. Now I hear that field size in BW is restricted to 60 Char. That makes it not an attractive solution. MDM field size can be more than 60. So now I am thinking / leaning towards an ABAP table approach.

The environment is MDM 5.5 SP06 patch 2 and BW is 3.5.

If others have found better approach, it would be nice to know.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Siva K.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Nitin,

Did you find a method or RFC to retireve change tracking or what data was changed on perticular record?

Thanks,

Bhavik

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have refreshed this thread, since I have an urgent requirement of tracking the changes done in MDM in ECC, through ABAP API's.

Logs in Console are not so easy to understand and hence we want to provide this feature in ECC.

I have gone through some webinars and I think it is possible. But I am not clear with the Steps.

Also there is CCMS montoring avaliable. What is this used for and then how it can be done?

If somebody has done this scenario, then Kindly tell me the steps to fulfill my requirement of tracking changes done to MDM repository and records in ECC through ABAP API's?

Points will be granted for helpful answers.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nitin,

I don't know exactly how to use the change tracking through ABAP API's but I can give you some idea regarding the CCMS.

You can configure the CCMS monitoring for your MDM System the you can monitor your MDM System like Different MDM Servers monitoring, performance monitoring, repository monitoring, operating system related information, log file monitoring etc....

You can configure the alert monitoring for email notification as per the req.

You can refer the following link for installation guides:

https://websmp108.sap-ag.de/installMDM

go to operation section, there you can download the installation guides for CCMS Monitoring name as "MDM 5.5 - Monitoring Guides"

Hope this will help you.

TNR,

Saurabh...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for your reply.

You can configure the CCMS monitoring for your MDM System the you can monitor your MDM System like Different MDM Servers monitoring, performance monitoring, repository monitoring, operating system related information, log file monitoring etc....

You can configure the alert monitoring for email notification as per the req.

However, I have one query. Have you performed this Monitoring yourself? and if yes, then how useful it is to use it?

If we can do all these activities that you have mentioned with CCMS monitoring, I think as of now I can work upon this as well.

But I think, there is one more way to track the changes through ABAP API's. Hope if somebody will throw some light on that as well.

Waiting for others reply as well...

Saurabh- Points rewarded for your helpful answer.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

As you have already connected to MDM through R/3.

For Changing Tracking, you have to call the function 'MDM_ADMIN_RETR_CHANGE_TRACKING' for that you have to use structure MDM_AUDIT_INFORMATION.

I am not quite sure will it work. Please try.

Hope it helps you,

Regarding CCMS montoring in MDM ABAP APIs, refer the link:

How TO Guides available on Service Market Place.

https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700004121872006E --> operations

Here apart from How to guides you will also get

HowTo_CCMS_Trace.pdf : It will guide you if there any errors come in connection b/w R/3 and MDM. it does the following:

. Collect and evaluate application log data

- Collect and evaluate kernel trace data

- Problem solution showcasecomes

if your HowTo_07.pdf on Tracing report is working fine then you can identify whether is there any error coming or not.

Lets take an example : if you Shut down the MDM Server.

Then in R/3 On running HowTO_07 program:you will get ERROR DURING CONNECT: 3 , ERROR DURING DISCONNECT: 3

The Reason for this is the unavailable server. but here you will not get more details. For this

After implementing HowTo_CCMS_Trace guide: under transaction RZ20 : In Application Trace you will see error Partner not reached (hostXXX, Service 20005) and

In Kernel WorkProcess Trace: You will get error: MDE Kernel Error, NiRaw2ConnectError: the attempt to establish a socket connect caused an error.

So in this way you evaluate the error in more details.

Note: For this you should have authroize to use the transaction RZ20 in R/3 System.

Hope it helps you,

Mandeep Saini.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nitin,

As per my knowledge, you can track the changes through ABAP API's as well as JAVA API's.

Regarding the CCMS, I have configured the monitoring.

By using CCMS, in the transaction-RZ20, we can monitor:

1. all the info about the mdm server's which are running or not.

2. the repository on MDM Server (like these are mounted, running or loaded etc...)

3. the Response times or differant performance attribute values.

4. the performance of MDM Server operating system (by the mean of differant performance attribute values like CPU, Memory, paging, LAN Disk etc....)

5. the memory utilised by MDM server

6. Daily and weekly monitoring/maintanence of MDM servers.

7. MDM Log files

8. MDM configuration files etc.

For the configuration of CCMS, you can refer the guides which is avialable on SMP.

Hope this will give you the brief idea about CCMS that how useful it is.

You can configure the alert monitoring for email notification as per the requirement.

Also can configure the CPH (Central Performance History).

But I am also still finding out the solution for Alert monitoring and CPH.

Anyway,If you find out any solution for these then please share with me also.

TNR,

Saurabh...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep and Saurabh,

Thanks for your inputs.

Will definitely try and then get back to you.

For others, your inputs will still be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nitin,

Just find the nice blog on Change tracking:

/people/balas.gorla/blog/2006/09/08/change-tracking-in-mdm

Clearly mentioned that you can export the change tracking data via DTS tool provided by SQL Server or we can also generate some report through JAVA API's.

Hope this will help you.

Also possible by ABAP API's. there is standard function module for this. I am also finding out how to do it by ABAP API. once done thenn will share with you.

TNR,

Saurabh...

Edited by: Saurabh Kumar Sahu on May 2, 2008 12:20 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nitin ,

On service market place there is a file for MDM ABAP API

,in that winzip file please go through pdf no 7.I am sure you will find the answer of your question.

Thanks

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

I am working on th same cenario... but facing a problem in connection between r/3 and MDM. It gives an error Access Denied, Can u plz tell what could be the possible error and its solution.

Regards

Devinderpal yadav

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am surprised that nobody has come across this kind of a scenario before. I would highly appreciate if somebody comes up with the steps....

Thanks

Nitin jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nitin,

there is no change tracking functionality in the ABAP API.

All you can do via ABAP API is setting up the change tracking parameters (like you can do in MDM Console under Admin -> Change Tracking).

Regards

Andreas