cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to process 1.1G hprof file on 32 bit windows?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a 1.1G hprof file. I've tried processing it w/ SAP Memory Analyzer, jhat, and yourkit - they all fail complain of running out of memory. This is on 32-bit Windows. SAP Memory Analyzer actually does quite a bit of processing before it fails. I noticed in another thread you mentioned that you've tested on 4G heaps - was that a 64 bit system? Do I have any hope of analyzing this hprof file w/o access to a 64 bit machine?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member197208
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Adam,

the limiting factor for the parsing/analysis is the number of objects, not so much the actual heap size. So if you have a lot of small objects (for example many entries in a LinkedList), even physically small heap dumps have high memory requirements.

Check the log file. Early on we print the number of objects in the heap. Let me know what number that is.

Having said that:

• I guess you already give it all memory available. On win32 this is usually something around -Xmx1200m. Make sure you provide this memory.

• Try parsing the heap dump using the command line (no UI, more memory?!?). ScriptParseHeapDump.bat <heap dump file>. Check the bat file and make sure the memory options are maxed.

• If the parsing fails during the calculation of the dominator tree, you should still be able to open the heap dump. Close the window, and reopen again. However, then some options will not work: immediate dominators, retained size approximation.

If you have an OoM stack trace, post it to the forum and I will have a look at it.

Kind regards,

- Andreas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I did see early on that I had about 35 million objects in the heap. I had tried it on the command line, as you said - this also failed. Luckily, I was able to get access to a 64 bit machine shortly after I posted, and the analyzer worked on the first pass. I'm not sure I could have diagnosed the problem w/o seeing those results.

Thanks for good support, and a neat product.

Adam

Answers (0)