Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Tansactions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I'm little bit confuse regarding the custom Transaction and Parameter transaction, I know custom transaction created by ABAPER''S, they write a code for specific transaction, but Parameter Trans we can create it from SE93. What’s the difference between these two types of Transactions?

I have three questions.

1) Is custom Transaction or Parameter transaction client dependent or independent? Do we have to transport the program or custom transaction from Dev to QA or Prod.?

2) My second question is: Do we have to have a Developer key to create custom and parameter transaction?

3) When Tran calling another transaction we can find out from SE97, but when I enter some of the standard SAP transaction in SE97 they give so many calling transaction for example su01 calling PFCG and all the other one. Can anyone please explain me because it’s not all clear to me.

Thanks

Faisal

5 REPLIES 5

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hello experts,

>

> I'm little bit confuse regarding the custom Transaction and Parameter transaction, I know custom transaction created by ABAPER''S, they write a code for specific transaction, but Parameter Trans we can create it from SE93. What’s the difference between these two types of Transactions?

Do not confuse transactions and programs. The programs are created by the ABAPers, transactions are a means to start programs, as is SA38.

> 1) Is custom Transaction or Parameter transaction client dependent or independent? Do we have to transport the program or custom transaction from Dev to QA or Prod.?

I just tried a few steps and it called for a workbench request so I'd guess client independent. Also, since creating a transaction called for a transport request, there's the answer to part two of q1.

>

> 2) My second question is: Do we have to have a Developer key to create custom and parameter transaction?

Nope.

>

> 3) When Tran calling another transaction we can find out from SE97, but when I enter some of the standard SAP transaction in SE97 they give so many calling transaction for example su01 calling PFCG and all the other one. Can anyone please explain me because it’s not all clear to me.

Well, many transactions have buttons and other interface options that trigger another transaction. The occurences are listed and viewable in SE97. From here you can for instance configure that anyone triggering PFCG from SU01 can do that without having S_TCODE authorization for PFCG. So, if he/she doubleclicks a role in SU01 PFCG will start, but when called from the SAP menu it will not.

What exactly are you looking for (and what have you tried yet)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jurjen has answered your questions well. If you would like to read more about transaction types, you can also look at Horst Keller's ABAP Geek Weblog Series. He gives a good overview. From the link below, scroll down to the "ABAP Geek 3 - About Transactions" section. Hope this helps.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/7386d990-0201-0010-81a9-fc9...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for reply,

But I know what's is program and what's is Trans, I wanted to know when we create parameter transaction from se93, do we need to write a code, no I don't think so, we don't need Developer when creating a Parameter Tans, we as a security Admin create parameter Trans, but when we have a specific request from customer then we go to Developer and Developer write a code and attach it to the Z tran, and then we use it in a role, right

My question was: Are there two type of Tran out there one has program behind it and one doesn’t have program which call (Parameter Tran)?

For calling trans: if you go to SE97 and type su01 there are bunch of trans shows up that means Su01 is calling all those transaction. Please explain.

I'm not trying to do anything but gaining knowledge and whatever censuses me

Thanks

Faisal

0 Kudos

>

> I'm not trying to do anything but gaining knowledge and whatever censuses me

I'd like to encourage you to try stuff. Go to the SDN download section, get yourself an ABAP system and play around! That's what I use to test things like I just did to get the other answers....

Jurjen

0 Kudos

Parameter Transaction is one of the Custom transaction type. It called another transaction with variable. For example you could create a Parameter Transaction ZMARA, which called SE16 with the table value set to MARA. So you can limit user to see just one table (MARA), instead of opening SE16 to the users.

On top of that, all the SE16 require Auth Object will be automatically copy over for ZMARA, you will not see all the Value in SU24 for ZMARA, but it will indicate ZMARA is a Parameter Transaction under the TCode Type. I can go into more details if you have more questions.

By the way, all transactions called program directly or indirectly. SE16 call program SAPLSETB Screen 230.

On to you SE97 question. Yes, SU01 called all these transactions, from the SU01 program. Noticed in SU01 first screen menu, for example, when you click on Information -> Information System, you are calling SUIM. Everytime you go from SU01 to other program, that is the called transaction. You also have called program, called function, etc.

So if you create a Custom Parameter Transaction, you will see the called transaction in SE93. BTW, there is an Info button on the first screen of SE97, read them!.

Have fun.

Lye