cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install multiple components

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

From our SAP landscape, on one of the system, we want to install additional SAP instances, request you to please let us know How we can install the same?

For additional SAP instance, either will install another database instance or will refer the existing database instance.

Request you to please reply.

Regards,

Jigar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Thanks for providing all the information.

Apart from SAP instances and OS, we are also planning to install additional Database instance on the same server, which will give us additional security to protest Database for DR site.

But while installing the additional Database instance, we have to provide a Name for the instance in place of a default instance.

I have a query as while installing the SAP how it will treat with the named database instance, as in the normal practice it refers to default instance.

In the SAP installation steps it is mentioned to put Hostname\instance_name, but while searching on other notes, it mentioned that it will be better if we use default instance.

In case if you guide for the same then it will be very helpful.

Regards,

Jigar Panchal

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jigar,

You can indeed install multiple instances on the same system as long as you unique SIDs for each one. There are a couple of things to be mindful about here as you are sharing the same resources (CPUs/memory/network connection/etc). I assume you have considered if you can partition the server – it really helps with handling the addition consideration listed;

- All application/SAP NetWeaver instances must support the same release of OS. This can add some addition planning needs for handling upgrades etc. Also there should be consideration that all instances have to be stopped for OS patching etc

- As it is the same system, you have to tune each application for behave well with the others. I.e. ensure that each one instance does not grab all available resources from the other instances. This is very challenging to do and requires a lot of understanding of each instance’s processing needs (and needs by time of day/week/month/etc) and then to additively consider the total needs across all instances for the system.

- OS tuning will most likely affect all instances running.

- Sizing is additive for all instances on the system running at any one time. You only save number of servers; not on # of CPUs/memory, disk, network.

Sharing the same database for a number of SAP instances is a term called Multiple Components One Database (MCOD). This is supported for most of SAP applications. You can find more information on the SAP Service Marketplace: http://service.sap.com/MCOD. The above considerations are also applicable to MCOD with the following ones added.

- All SAP instances must support the same DB version and patch levels. SAP instances will dictate the required DB version/patch level so you will have to mindful of all needs.

- All DB tuning must be supported by all instances.

- Sizing is still additive but you might be able to save some small amount of swap/temp space but this is minor.

- You might be able to save on some licensing (e.g. 3rd party DB tools etc) but this depends on your companies and vendor’s DB’s licensing.

You should be able to follow the installation guides to do the installations as normal. When a shared resource is found the installer will ask what to do (i.e. for shared folders like /usr/sap/trans and SCS services).

I hope this helps,

Mike.