SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conditional booking using the 529 relationship

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello -

We are testing conditional booking using the 529 relationship on 1001 on the SM. The relationship itself is working correctly but when we check the conditional booking checkbox, we do not get the expected results. We continue to get the hard error "prereq not met" but do not get a conditional booking.

Are there additional steps that need to be completed other than just checking the conditional booking box when setting up the relationship?

Thanks,

Denise

7 REPLIES 7

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Denise,

You did not describe your whole setup, so let me clearly define here how the conditional booking works:

1) You have a Course/Module (call it 'CourseA') that has a pre-requisite that the student must first complete another course ('CourseB').

2) In the 'Module Catalog', you must create a relationship 'Needs Pre-requisite' (A529)from 'CourseA' to 'CourseB'.

3) In the Addtional Data of the relationship, you check 'on' the flag 'Allow Conditional Booking'. You may also require a minimum qualifying grade if you wish.

4) Now, assume you have Fall Semester preceeding Spring Semester as your academic sessions. A student is CURRENTLY registered (Booked) in 'CourseB' for the Fall Semester, but has not yet completed the course.

5) You now attempt to register the student for 'CourseA' for the upcoming Spring semester.

6) Because the student has not yet completed the pre-requisite of 'CourseB', but is already taking 'CourseB', the system will automatically now create a CONDITIONAL booking for 'CourseA'.

The system will only create a conditional booking if the student is already taking the pre-requisite course! If the student is not already taking the pre-requisite course(s), you will of course get an error that the pre-requisite was not met.

So, perhaps you can indicate now whether you are having a problem with this behavior. There are some ways to essentially 'de-activate' it in specific cases (such as with Exclusion Reasons or implementing a BAdi for pre-requisite checks), but unless you have specifically done those things, it will work as described.

Michael

0 Kudos

Michael,

We are doing every single step EXACTLY as you described below. The only difference is #6. You state "the system will automattically now create a CONDITIONAL booking for CourseA." It does not conditionally book the course for us. We get the exact same message whether the conditional checkbox is checked or not. (The message states: The student has not met the prerequiste.)

We do not "think" we have any badis activated (could you tell us the name of the badi that would do this) and or Exclusion Reasons being used (since we are unsure of what these are.)

We are at a loss on what to do next. We have reviewed the IMG looking for clues to see if we've missed something in configuration. Is this functionality something that is "right out of the box"?

Please let me know if I can provided any other information so we can get this resolved.

Thanks,

Denise

0 Kudos

Hi Denise,

Let's clarify something here. Even when the condtional booking is being created, you STILL get an error message. However, the error message shows an OVERRIDE, along with an icon indicating that the booking will be conditional. You just have to hit 'Enter' when you see the message.

I have attached a JPEG of the pop-up you should see, and I circled the conditional indicator. Are you not seeing this?

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

That is exactly what we were expecting but instead we are receiving one message type green, one message type red, no conditional booking icon. Hitting enter results in the "Module booking was cancelled" information box.

Regards,

Jerry

0 Kudos

Jerry and Denise,

I realize now what the problem is, and I have a solution for you, I believe. In order for the conditional booking to work properly, you actually must have at least one EXCLUSION indicator defined in your system.

You do this in the IMG Path: CM -> CM Processes -> Module Booking -> Define Exclusion Indicators for Module Booking

This is normally used so that you can individually mark a module booking to be excluded from pre-requisite checks, progression, and appraisals.

Please create an entry in this table. Just call it 'General Exclusion', for eaxmple, and mark all the check-boxes. Hopefully that will solve this problem for you.

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

Initial results look very promising! I made the change as you indicated and was then able to successfully conditionally book.

Thanks for your assistance!

Jerry

0 Kudos

Michael,

We have done our testing and it is working now exactly as you stated it should.

Thank you for help!!

Denise