cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is MDM is the answer to the following scenario...

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Everybody,

Scenario: "You are confronted by a company with 7 different customer databases. Design a system that will integrate the databases, yet not force all the applications to be rewritten."

My question is does SAP handle the above scenario via MDM. Please let me know if this is correct. Any response is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

KlausDavid
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

before I answer, I want to let you know, that the most recent release of MDM is version 3.0. My answers belong to this version.

The structure you request, doesn't exist out of the box. But it's possible to use the Master Data Framework (new with MDM 3.0) to define your own object types.

Workflow wise MDM uses the workflow engine of WAS 6.40.

As MDM needs an EP6.0 as user-interface, LDAP is necessary on the portal.

Regards Klaus

KlausDavid
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello ???,

MDM can cover exactly this requirement. The philosophy of MDM is, that the applications itself stay untouched and can be used like before. If you connect these systems to MDM, the Master Data for these applications would come in the future from MDM, with the advantage, that they're shared and in sync with all your applications. You could use then this aligned Master Data knowledge to consolidate your suppliers, streamline your purchasing or to perform global Spend analysis, just to mention a few advantages of the MDM solution.

Regards Klaus

> HI Everybody,

>

> Scenario: "You are confronted by a company with 7

> different customer databases. Design a system that

> will integrate the databases, yet not force all the

> applications to be rewritten."

>

> My question is does SAP handle the above scenario via

> MDM. Please let me know if this is correct. Any

> response is highly appreciated.

>

> Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Klaus thanks for your response.

I have two questions:

Q1- Where the transactional data is stored (MDM is handling 'Master' data)

Q2-Where can I find the technical info on MDM such as Adaptors.

I have read briefly 'MDM Basics' and 'MDM and SAP BW, how they play together', both authored by you. I am looking for more info.

Thanks.

Naved

PS I want to present this idea of MDM to my professor. I want to know how MDM works.

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Klaus

Thanks so much for your help with us down in San Antonio. (I worked with Mark W. and the gang there!)

@All

If anyone knows MDM, it's Klaus!

KlausDavid
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Naved,

1) The transcational data for evaluations come always from the Client-systems. This is the case, as MDM distributes the Master Data to the client-systems and on the client-systems processes are executed by exactly using these Master Data. It's the MDM philosophy, that the transactional systems should work the same way like before the connection to MDM, except of the creation and maintenance of the Master Data.

2) For detailed information on XI adaptors, please check the XI Developers Area, or the Service Marketplace.

There was as well some time ago a thread about adapters. Please look therefore also in the thread "ADAPTORS"

Regards Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Klaus,

I agree with you that the individual client systems would have to manage the transactional data under their control.

But I wanted to get some more clarification on Naved's question.

Once the entire suite of MDM is implemented (DC, MDH, CMDM), a rationalized / harmonized master data would be distributed back to the client apps (MDC). I believe that the structure of this rationalized / harmonized master data (distribute from MDM) may be different from that maintained in any given client's database. If this is true then some effort would be needed to map the "new" structure to the "existing" structure on the client....by doing this the client application (handling the transactional data) may not have to be changed. If this remapping is not done, then I think the client app may have to be reprogrammed to incorporate the "new" structure of the master data on the client app.

This is what I believe...can u please validate and provide your comments.

Regards,

Shanker

KlausDavid
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Shanker,

if Client Systems should get data distributed from MDM, a mapping of the MDM Data Structure to the Client Data Structure is necessary. But this is, where XI comes in place, cause XI provides this mapping capability. Once the mapping is done in XI, you should be fine.

Regards Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

Ref. to 1). So, if I have a legacy application X, where I currently create a customer record, with MDM will I have to change the flow of work? i.e. enter new customer record on MDM, validate on MDM, then the clean customer master record passes on to application X via a XI Adaptor, whose job is formatting it to the format accepted by Application X. Is my understanding correct, and if not, would you mind to provide the correct flow.

Thanks

Luis

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Luis,

The Master Data Harmonization scenario generally offers the option to create a master data record on the local Master Data Client (local creation), or alternatively, directly on the Master Data Server (central creation). As a prerequisite for local creation, the legacy application "X" must offer a push mechanism, so that new data can be transfered to MDS (for example, in SAP R/3 this is achieved using change pointers).

As you have pointed out correctly, XI is used for format conversions.

Kind regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

Scenario: "In your international company you have a different ERP system by country, sometime it is a mySAP ERP system, and sometimes it is a non-SAP ERP system. You would like to create a central referential system to enable the creation and the management of unique person-ID across the company and also centralise the management of the whole organisation structures in that system".

First question is does MDM 2.0 (actual release) support in its data model the management of organisational structure with Org-Unit, positions, person, I mean a simplified version of HR like it is done for the Workflow engine.

Second question is does MDM 2.0 contain the same workflow engine as in mySAP ERP.

Third question is does MDM 2.0 contain the LDAP connector.

Thanks.

Sebastien