cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Thread Cleanup - what is the impact

0 Kudos

There are many forum threads which go unanswered. Also there are many threads with some basic (?) question which is answered and points awarded.

Because of the large volume of threads no one seems to search before posting a thread.

My question is more for the Community Managers and Tech Team.

1. What happens when a thread is deleted? Does it reduce your database size (and hopefully save some energy to run the datacenter) even by few bytes? Does it improve the performance of your TREX search.

2. The more important question? In case someone was assigned points based ona thread response when the thread(s) are deleted does the points get unassgined. Hope not.

3. Does archiving of threads happen?

I am planning to take up the onerous task of cleaning up the SCM-APO forum starting with unanswered threads (should be quite easy) followed by simple Q&A threads (tough task as the learning should be documented as FAQ in the Wiki).

Before starting it would be good to get the clarifications.

Regards,

Somnath

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thread removed = points removed

Reduce number of threads does not have a high impact on performance that we've noticed at the moment.

Should you delete threads because they re unanswered? NO we don't delete unanswered threads we hope someone answers them.

0 Kudos

Thanks Craig for your reply.

I shall not "waste" time in trying to tidy the threads.

But I doubt anyone looks into unanswered threads esp when they are more than 6 months old.

br,

somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

It will be better if you delete the UNANSWERED threads more than 3 months old in PP forum also.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No unanswered thread must be deleted...No matter how old they are...

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes - the important thing is the answers to the questions, not whthere they are marked as answered or not.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

This is best source of quick knowledge on demand. Let all threads remain as is incl unanswered ones as at any given point of time there are newbies aka lazy to refer help.sap.com kinds, learners and experts and this forum serves everybody's need in some or the other way. If memory and performance are any issues, then some messages can be archived in some lesser byte formats, e.g. txt. rtf etc. Today incidentally i happen to search the forum on some issues and i could atleast get a reassurance from an unanswered question, that someone has made some attempt and that did not work, so even this helps.

Regards,

Loknath